Pullet limping & curling toes

TheLamHerd

Hatching
Aug 3, 2015
Clinton, NY
I have a 5 1/2 month old Olive Egger pullet. She has been limping for about a week and the last 2 days has started curling her toes up and she can hardly get around at all. Its been about 10 degrees or so for weeks. After I noticed her limping the other chickens started ripping her feathers out and bullying her. I brough her in so she could heal. She is drinking and eating, but has lost a considerable amount of weight and she seems worse. I see no signs of bumblefoot, and if theres a break I cannot see it. What could it be and how do I help her?!?!

Welcome to BYC. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? I would start her on some poultry vitamins just in case of vitamin B 2 (riboflavin) deficiency. Riboflavin deficiency can cause curled under toes and walking on hocks. If not treated early on, it can become permanent.

I emailed the breeder and realized she was not vaccinated. I will start her on vitamins in the morning. She had green watery poop this afternoon and seems to have very poor to almost blind vision. But I have managed to coax her to eat and drink all day. I am soooo hoping it is not Marek's. Thank you for your advice!

Do her eye color and pupils look alike and normal? Sometimes in oular Mareks the eye can turn gray, and the pupil can become irregular shaped or pinpoint. Mareks can strike at this age, but let's hope that it is just a vitamin deficiency. Vitamin A deficiency can cause eye problems.

Pupils are equal, normal and change normally with light, thankfully. She just doesnt seem to be able to see things. She doesn't realize there is water unless I slosh it around. I put live worms in front of her and she didn't notice them either and pecked at her bedding instead.

Back
Top Bottom