Pullet making really weird sounds... It sounds like a failed attempt at crowing almost

LhickenChicken

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jan 5, 2023
My "rescue" pullet Dawn has just been making exceedingly weird noises. It sounds like a sneeze with a little crow-ending. I had some hens that were getting picked on so I put some "stop-pick" stuff on there that is supposed to be repulsive to them. Do you think she ingested this stuff and is making these noises because of the spices in there? I was looking at an article on sneezing and the closest one is "infectious bronchitis". But other than sneezing and making weird noises there's no other symptoms. I think she's stopped now but I'm not sure.

Are you 100% sure that it was her that laid the egg??
Could you post a photo of her, or even better, a video? (although you have to upload that to yt, and then provided a link)

Are you 100% sure that it was her that laid the egg??
Could you post a photo of her, or even better, a video? (although you have to upload that to yt, and then provided a link)
She stopped doing it. I think it could have been just some food went down the "wrong pipe" as it were, and so she was coughing and sneezing to get the food out. She is just fine, eating and drinking. But just to be sure I seperated Dawn with another pullet Ellie.

I have a pullet who sneezes more when she's stressed.
At first her sneezing was really bad, but no one else caught anything, no other symptoms, and her crop was fine (you might want to double check these things).
Over the course of a month her sneezing tapered off, and she's growing on pace with her flockmates.
But I always know when someone is giving her a hard time. Achoo starts up her sneezing and I have to go intervene. It's usually at bedtime when the younger chicks think they can pile in next to her, she doesn't like to be squished. When I clear the space around her she is quiet.

Oh, make sure you look up a video showing "stridor". I had a hen with it once that was really scary, but she was fine the next day.

I have a pullet who sneezes more when she's stressed.
At first her sneezing was really bad, but no one else caught anything, no other symptoms, and her crop was fine (you might want to double check these things).
Over the course of a month her sneezing tapered off, and she's growing on pace with her flockmates.
But I always know when someone is giving her a hard time. Achoo starts up her sneezing and I have to go intervene. It's usually at bedtime when the younger chicks think they can pile in next to her, she doesn't like to be squished. When I clear the space around her she is quiet.

Oh, make sure you look up a video showing "stridor". I had a hen with it once that was really scary, but she was fine the next day.
I have a bunch of STUPID cocks with the layers cause I don't know what to do with them, and they're getting hormonal. So I am building a tractor for them. I think it's going to be finished today. Could the cocks be stressing her out?

I have a bunch of STUPID cocks with the layers cause I don't know what to do with them, and they're getting hormonal. So I am building a tractor for them. I think it's going to be finished today. Could the cocks be stressing her out?
Could be.

Bachelor pads are a great thing. About half the time they work out, but they def cut down on the fighting between roosters, and eliminate the fighting about hens.

Back
Top Bottom