Pullet or cockerel? Silkie/easter egger hybrid at 11 weeks 5 days

That is an interesting thought. Having looked more closely at photos of polish chickens just now, I agree.

We are still waiting for a final determination of sex on the one chick. It has not crowed yet, but I am leaning towards cockerel just based on looks - though there hasn’t been much of a change in looks either. Interestingly, the one that is clearly a pullet is dominant. I have no idea if that helps with sexing the second chick. I thought cockerels were dominant over pullets but maybe that is wrong? At what age is the dominance hierarchy worked out?
They both look like pullets to me.

Hi everyone, can you help me sex one 11 week-old silkie/easter egger mix? We know the first chick is a pullet. I put a photo here for comparison - she is standing all alone in this photo. The second chick (in background of photo on left) has slightly more pink and developed comb, but it is not much different. The saddle feathers on both of them are similar. I've been thinking it is a cockerel and now I'm not so certain. Is this second chick a pullet or cockerel?

View attachment 2696045 View attachment 2696047
Pullet

FINALLY this little guy revealed himself - and started chasing the ladies yesterday. It is a cockerel!

I really appreciate everyone's input. This guy had (most) everyone fooled, but that is the way it goes with hybrids!

Thanks again to everyone who posted.
Wow, I definitely didn’t expect that. Do you have updated pictures of him?

Wow, I definitely didn’t expect that. Do you have updated pictures of him?
Sorry I’m so slow to reply! Here is the most recent photo I have of him at 14 weeks. (He had to go to freezer camp so I’ll get no more photos of him.) Cockerel is on the left, pullet on the right.
20210614_144627.jpg

Back
Top Bottom