I just went outside and checked my Australorp and one of the barnevelders. The Australorp had rounded feathers and barnevelder had pointy feathers with also sickle feathers. Australorp is a pullet???

It’s also a quite unafficient to sex chicks by their feather colour.

Not with Barred Rocks, it is quite possibly the most efficient way to sex young Barreds.

I agree that all look like cockerels, some breeds are just later to develop cockerel attribute (Australorps, Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, basically any large fowl breeds)

Post pictures of the Australorps hackle feathers (it's neck feathers) and saddle feathers if you are unsure, as well as comb close ups. I'm quite sure it's a male though.

I think all 4 are cockerels. I base my opinion mainly on the size and redness of their combs and wattles at such an early age. At 9 to 10 weeks, those combs and wattles would be much less developed than they are, if any of these was a pullet.
No, not really. I searched up online “images of 10 week old Australorp pullets” and also looked on Gumtree (an online thing in Australia where you can list things and people can buy) and many 10 week old Australorp pullets looked like mine. I’ll take close up pics

I think all 4 are cockerels. I base my opinion mainly on the size and redness of their combs and wattles at such an early age. At 9 to 10 weeks, those combs and wattles would be much less developed than they are, if any of these was a pullet.
:goodpost:
I agree completely.
Unfortunately I believe you have 4 cockerels.
My opinion is also based on redness and size of the combs and wattles.
You wouldn’t see that in pullets at 8-10 weeks.
Also, saddle feathers don’t really become noticeable until around 12 weeks from what I’ve seen.

Not with Barred Rocks, it is quite possibly the most efficient way to sex young Barreds.

I agree that all look like cockerels, some breeds are just later to develop cockerel attribute (Australorps, Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds, basically any large fowl breeds)

Post pictures of the Australorps hackle feathers (it's neck feathers) and saddle feathers if you are unsure, as well as comb close ups. I'm quite sure it's a male though.
Sure, I’ll get pics of it soon.

:goodpost:
I agree completely.
Unfortunately I believe you have 4 cockerels.
My opinion is also based on redness and size of the combs and wattles.
You wouldn’t see that in pullets at 8-10 weeks.
Also, saddle feathers don’t really become noticeable until around 12 weeks from what I’ve seen.
It is actually quite common for Australorp pullets to look like mine at this age.

Back
Top Bottom