Pullet or Roo?

MaiaA

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 17, 2009
This is a 14 week old Barred Rock (or so we were told by the feed store). This is my neighbor's. I have one the same age and they look very, very different. This one has tail feathers much longer than the others.

I'd appreciate opinions on this one. He/She is a fast one, so this is the best pic I was able to get.

31598_002-b.jpg

Feeling rather silly, I realized that with a little cropping I had some better options for pictures. So, see if these help with ID.

Thanks in advance for the help.

31598_001b.jpg

31598_003b.jpg

31598_004b.jpg

It looks like the legs are the same color as your buff orpington. Is it possible that your chicken could be a cuckoo marans? BRs are supposed to have yellow legs. Also, is the comb a straight comb (same type as your buff orp) or is it a rose comb. Dominiques also look like barred rocks but have a different comb type (I don't know what color their legs are).

Well, well, well, guess who crowed this morning? He must have known I "outed" him by posting his picture yesterday. Thank you for the correct ID.

I'll look into what breed he is . . .he does look so very different from the other two barred rocks that I have and I too had noticed the leg color, but hadn't a clue if it meant anything or not.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom