Pullet Poop Picture, ADR

wild chick

Songster
7 Years
Jul 23, 2016
Southern NM mountains @ 6400'
ADR is my catch-all term for Ain't Doing Right. My Ancona pullet is about 30 weeks old, has laid a few eggs, her last egg was Thursday the 10th, Friday she was acting too quiet and had what looked like egg white and a soft shell membrane coming from her vent, so I caught her, pulled ever so gently on the membrane and it came out in one piece. She is still quiet, but NOT fluffed or hunched or tail down or straining and she still flies to the rafters at night like she always does. I've seen this poop for the last couple of days and suspect it's hers. After dark I always take her off the rafter and put her on the roost with the other chickens and this poop was under where I put her last night. I locked her in the broody pen this morning so I can watch her and confirm her poop - she normally free ranges. Everything about her looks normal except her poop and her lack of enthusiasm. Yesterday when I fed treats she stood and watched instead of coming running. I thought about egg bound, but if this is her poop, then that wouldn't be it, am I right? All other chickens are acting normal. Am I worrying too much?

P1250244.JPG
P1250245.JPG

No you are not worrying too much. She is suffering from a problem, either impacted oviduct or shell gland problems. Having a rubbery egg stuck in the vent can result in a broken egg inside. Shell gland problems or too low calcium levels might be possible. I would get her on some antibiotics to prevent infection if you have a good relationship with your vet. Baytril is best, but amoxicllin will help as well, and you can get them online for fish. Having eggs break inside can cause infection that may eventually lead to egg yolk peritonitis. The link below has a list of reproductive disorders besides egg bound or impacted oviduct that you can click on to read:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...tem/egg-bound-or-impacted-oviducts-in-poultry

I would give her a human calcium tablet such as generic Caltrate with vitamin D for the next 3 days. Give it orally, or crushed in a treat such as egg or a small amount of wet cat food.

Back
Top Bottom