Pullet Shut automatic guillotine

natemoore1986

Songster
9 Years
Aug 3, 2012
Twice now one of my chickens has been almost decapitated by this thing. I may still lose the hen that got badly injured last night. Haven't had a chance to look at her wound closely because my vicious rooster keeps attacking me when I go in (I'm getting ready to wring it's neck real soon). He was the other chicken who was almost decapitated.

The Pullet Shut automatic chicken door really needs some kind of pressure sensitive safety or IR beam like a garage door instead of just a 10 second re-open setting. I've got it set to close when it's pretty much dark outside, but apparently they straggle every once in awhile.

Anyone else have this happen?

We have an auto guillotine door (not Pullet Shut brand) and no problems that I know of. The door goes down very slowly though. Does your door "drop"?

No, it used a geared stepper motor to close the hinged door. I called the guys who make it and suggested that they include a safety or back off the torque. They said it is torque-limited and the hen probably did that to herself while struggling.

No, it used a geared stepper motor to close the hinged door. I called the guys who make it and suggested that they include a safety or back off the torque. They said it is torque-limited and the hen probably did that to herself while struggling.
I thought it was a guillotine door?

Does the torque limit switch make the door open back up?

I thought it was a guillotine door?

Does the torque limit switch make the door open back up?
I was being facetious. Not a guillotine, but a good decapitation devise.
hmm.png

The torque limit does not make it open up again like a garage door. After is shuts, it opens again briefly, but that's controlled by a timer.

Back
Top Bottom