Pullet sitting nest box but not laying

Sounds like she is trying to go broody. Rare on a hen that has never laid but not unheard of.

I got a hen that aint supposed to be known for going broody that is under a year old with 2 (not so) little ones right now. She went broody but I limited her to 3 eggs as I don't have the room. My son and step son need to learn about culling birds.

Last edited:
She's practicing.

I have a couple pullets digging nests in the coop bedding to sit in.
I have some of my older pullets, 20-25 weeks that are digging holes in the corner of the coops. I didn't realize that they were this old already. I haven't installed nest boxes yet, is this a sign?
I have Australorps, wyandotte and some EES and some golden comments that are in that age range. At what age do they usually start laying. Bi started giving them crushed shells yesterday.

I have some of my older pullets, 20-25 weeks that are digging holes in the corner of the coops. I didn't realize that they were this old already. I haven't installed nest boxes yet, is this a sign?
I have Australorps, wyandotte and some EES and some golden comments that are in that age range. At what age do they usually start laying. Bi started giving them crushed shells yesterday.

Yes, nest-seeking is a sign.

At that age and with days getting longer eggs are due any time now.

Back
Top Bottom