Pullet sounds

Have you ever heard your girls make a honking sound? Like a squeaky toy? Just curious, cause that was a new one for me today.
Are they about 8-12 weeks old?
They often 'honk' as their voices are changing from peeping to clucking and other 'adult' vocalizations.
I love the honking phase, always cracks me up! :gig

A one of mine started honking at 9 weeks in my first batch a buff Orpington. 16 weeks old now and she is talkative. My second batch just turned 9 weeks and one just started honking. All the time!!!! Very loud. My son had named her Duane “the barred rock” Johnson. We were having trouble telling the 4 barred rock chicks apart. No problem telling who Duane is now!

Are they about 8-12 weeks old?
They often 'honk' as their voices are changing from peeping to clucking and other 'adult' vocalizations.
I love the honking phase, always cracks me up! :gig
No, that’s what’s weird to me. She’s 28 weeks old Barred Rock. I had just let everyone out and dodged my pecking chicken, and hear the high pitched noise. I literally had to turn around and walk back to see who it was.
46AC4891-8D3B-48CA-AAC7-B6FB649AAA1F.jpeg

No, that’s what’s weird to me. She’s 28 weeks old Barred Rock. I had just let everyone out and dodged my pecking chicken, and hear the high pitched noise. I literally had to turn around and walk back to see who it was.
Must be something different than the voice change honking then.
A video would help.

What fun!
Since I am online only part time, I am cramming posts in when I can.

Voices and voice changes have always intrigued me too.
With the youngsters, the change from "peepers" to adult voice, maybe "honkers" [although that makes me think of geese], comes gradually. Like in a human teenage boy?

My chickens are bantams. According to my experienced neighbors who gifted them to me, bantams grow slower and develop somewhat different from full-sized chickens.

Its a long story how one of my banties hatched a single chick.
This baby kept peeping until five months of age, after which she both peeped and emitted an adult hen sound.
Within the next two weeks she switched completely to adult hen sounds.
While l liked it [love to watch the birds - someone here called it chicken TV - how appropriate] I also missed the loss of that special peep.
Yet, as with all birds, chickens have certain sounds in common. But individuals also develop other sounds as their uniquely very own.

Back
Top Bottom