Pullet walking backward?

Sjisty

Scribe of Brahmalot
12 Years
May 18, 2009
Brooksville
I have a light Brahma pullet, approximately 6 months old, that just in the last few days has started having problems. I first noticed she was walking very gingerly, it almost looked like she was walking on her tiptoes, and she would sit a lot. She is also breathing hard but not "gurgly" or congested. Eyes are bright. Body weight is good, although this morning she isn't eating much.

Has anybody out there had experience with this problem, and what can I do to help her?

1) What type of bird , age and weight. Light Brahma pullet, approximately 6 months old. Not skinny, actual body weight unknown.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. As above.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Started about 4 days ago, getting progressively worse.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Unknown.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Seems to be eating, although this morning I brought her in and gave her a scrambled egg but she didn't eat much.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Was looking normal. This morning formed stool but runny around edges.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? PolyVisol vitamins. Separated from flock.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? There are no chicken vets around.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. No picture.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use. Free range during day. Deep litter method in coop. Feed mainly layer crumbles, some scratch, treats from kitchen. Fresh water at all times.

Thank you for that link. She doesn't seem to have wry neck. Her head is straight and she is looking forward. She just ate quite a bit of food (she's in my kitchen, so I can keep an eye on her). I am giving her vitamins and hopefully she will turn around soon.

Back
Top Bottom