pullet with vent completely clogged

James_in_Utah

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 6, 2008
I noticed my nieghbor had one of his pullets isolated 2 or 3 days ago. The little 6th grader that takes care of them said the other hens were picking on her. This afternoon when I got home I went over to look in on her. The water dish was putrid, and I couldn't see any food in the cage. I thought she looked extemely light so after cleaning out the water dish I picked her up and notice her vent was complete clogged over with dried poop. She only had one tail feather left, so I figure she's been picking at it trying to unclog it. I took her in and soaked her in a warm bath to try to loosen it up. After at least 30 minutes I started to be able to pull away some of the clog with a queue tip. I must have gotten about half a cup of poop out of the chicken, but I still don' t think that's it. During the bath she started getting even more lethargic, so I probably ended up killing her by putting her through that much shock. After drying her, she doesn't even try to perch. She just lays there where ever I put her. I left her in an isolation cage out in the garage with a small space heater blowing her way from about 4 feet away. I fully expect her to be dead in the morning. In case she's not, any advice on emergency care for an imaciated totally constipated hen would be appreciated. Is there any type of food I can give her to help her recover? Yogart? Eggs? Fruit?
THanks,
James

I would probly go with scrambled eggs & yogurt mash, but I'd probly give her some electrolytes in her water too, & to be honest, putrid water... I might even try giving her an antibiotic. I'd be really concerned about dehydration if she was stopped up that bad.

Good for you for TRYING, that's horrid that they isolated her & left her in such a condition.
I really hope she pulls through for you, maybe she was just shocky & tired now that she can poop again, after not being able to for quite a bit.

ETA: I forgot, you might want to put some oil or vaseline on her butt feathers to help prevent the poop from sticking while trying to recoup.

Last edited:
I don't think I got her completely unclogged. It was amazing how much came out, but I never did see anything that looked like fresh poop. She started looking a little shocky so I thought I'd better quit. I just went out and checked her and she's still alive, but still laying on her side.

That's horrible that your neighbor allowed this to happen to the poor hen!
hit.gif

You are wonderful for trying to help her. I would recommend getting some electrolytes in her now, a little gatorade or even a little sugar water. Dehydration is serious and she needs electrolytes now to help perk her up especially if you suspect she's going into shock.

Sending healing thoughts for her - I hope she makes it! Please keep us updated!
hugs.gif

I have some Electrolyte sports drink. I mixed some up, and got 4 dropper fulls in her. Maybe a total of 2 teaspons. She's kind of out of it, but I can still get her to open her eyes. She doesn't really try to perch. If I lay her on her side she just stays there. How much liquid would you try to get in her?

Quote:
I have no idea but I would think for now, that should be enough for her until very early morning. I would think rest would be the best for now so she can de-stress. If she makes it throught the night I would re-evaluate her condition. If you can get her to eat in the morning I think plain yogurt would really help her if you can get her to eat. If you see any improvement, maybe you could try to clean her vent a bit more. If you can go get some antibiotics and vitamins for her, I would. I wonder what would cause her to be so backed up? Poor girl.

Well unfortunately the hen didn't make it. She was still alive this morning when I first got up, but by the time I left for work she was dead. I wish I could have gotten to her a couple of days ago. Thanks for all the advice. I think I will know a little better what to do next time.
Thanks,
James

Back
Top Bottom