Pullets no longer laying in nesting boxes

This is a question asked often as we get to this point in summer. I'm surprised the "similar threads" below came up with such a lame assortment as it gets asked multiple times by this time of the season. You're lucky, at any rate, that these novices are at least laying in the coop.

The nests could be your problem. Please post a photo of them. Tell us how many hens use how many nest boxes.

A nest box is a critical thing. It must be large enough for a hen to perform her ritual of titivating where she fussily arranges the nesting material. If you use a nest pad, that deprives her of this satisfying ritual. Pine shavings or straw are the hands down favorite materials for nests.

It must be high enough so she can stand up in it comfortably as the last stage of egg laying requires this in order for the egg to fall out as gravity assists her in this process.

The nest must also be accessible. If it is too high or doesn't have a perch to hop onto, the nest may simply be too much hassle to try to use.

And yes, many hens enjoy laying as a time to relax in peace and quiet and curtains do help her focus and not be distracted by other activities going on around her.
Thanks for the great information. Our two oldest hens just started laying. We have noticed a bed being made in the far corner of our coop in the pine shaving bedding. My wife would rake everything flat again and the next day it would be back. This morning my wife found a hen sitting in her home made nest on top of an egg. We are also using nest pads in our nesting boxes. Today we will remove the pads and put fresh pine shavings in the nesting boxes. We will probably add a strip of plywood across the bottom that will double as a perch and a block to keep the bedding in the nests.

Thanks for the great information. Our two oldest hens just started laying. We have noticed a bed being made in the far corner of our coop in the pine shaving bedding. My wife would rake everything flat again and the next day it would be back. This morning my wife found a hen sitting in her home made nest on top of an egg. We are also using nest pads in our nesting boxes. Today we will remove the pads and put fresh pine shavings in the nesting boxes. We will probably add a strip of plywood across the bottom that will double as a perch and a block to keep the bedding in the nests.
Let me know if you have any success! I just changed out my nesting pads for pine shavings after my two laid this morning. Fingers crossed for both of us.

I also think heat could be a factor based on how closed up the nests are. Once you have a thermometer we will know for sure.

I inadvertently built my nests with only half a back wall (ran out of plywood and didn't want to buy more) but it ended up working out, as it allows some airflow into the rear.
coop3.jpg

I've even cut windows into my old nest box (old dog house) to provide airflow and light.
after5.jpg

Let me know if you have any success! I just changed out my nesting pads for pine shavings after my two laid this morning. Fingers crossed for both of us.
After we tried using pine shavings in the nest box we found that the chickens would push the shavings out. So we put a strip of plywood along the bottom to keep the shavings in and added curtains. This morning both of our laying chickens laid their eggs in the nest boxes.

Nest Box.jpg

Last edited:
I have been told by more experienced farmers than myself that hens prefer a nesting box that is elevated about 18 inches or so, with a landing at the entrance for access and regress.
I have both wooden and metal boxes. My hens prefer the metal ones for some unknown reason.
This is my fourth brood of pullets and they are going on 4 weeks old and I’m building a proper henhouse, finally! I’m thinking I’ll use the wall hanging metal boxes in there as well. I’ll be housing 13 Barred-Rock hens with four boxes.
I like the removable bottom pan for easy cleaning.
Placing a fake brown wooden egg in the nest with pine shavings always seems to do the trick. I bought a bag full of wooden craft-eggs on clearance at the Hobby Lobby. Way cheaper than the ceramic ones at TSC.
I had a rat snake invader this Spring who ate a wooden egg. I found him with the big lump trying to break that solid wooden egg! Lol!
I’m going to post a photo of my boxes. They’re not pretty but they work just fine!

Attachments

• IMG_2678.jpeg
    IMG_2678.jpeg
    778.5 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom