Pullets no longer laying in nesting boxes

The nests are adequate sized. As @aart mentioned, a hot coop and nests that aren't ventilated could be an issue. Are the nests accessible on the back side? I have egg gathering doors on the back of my nests to access them from outside. I cut holes in these doors and installed vents over them for airflow.
Do you mind sending me a picture? Do you just cover the vents in winter? Thank you!

Are the nests in shade all day?
Show pics of your whole coop so we can see the ventilation.
Do you have a thermometer in the coop to monitor temps there?

I live in Baltimore
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1688398579378.png

I have had this coop for years. Chickens have laid hundreds of eggs in my nests. But chickens are notional. Right now, I have a single 'nest' in the hay in the corner of my coop on the floor.

When mine decide on a new place often times I will let them lay there for a while if it works. Then I will change things up, block off their nest, freshen my nests - and often times they will go back to laying where they are suppose to.

They just drive you nuts.

Mrs K

I have had this coop for years. Chickens have laid hundreds of eggs in my nests. But chickens are notional. Right now, I have a single 'nest' in the hay in the corner of my coop on the floor.

When mine decide on a new place often times I will let them lay there for a while if it works. Then I will change things up, block off their nest, freshen my nests - and often times they will go back to laying where they are suppose to.

They just drive you nuts.

Mrs K
Haha! Thank you - they are driving me nuts! They are laying in the corner of the coop, so I am thinking if I can't beat them, join them. I may buy one of those pre-made nesting boxes and just put it in that corner!

Thank you! I added my geographical location, and I just ordered a thermometer. Here are the pictures of our coop. The two sides that don't have windows have vents in the roof overlap. I couldn't get a picture of one of the sides bc it is right next to our garage with not a lot of space!

Attachments

• coop 1.jpg
    coop 1.jpg
    863.3 KB · Views: 11
  • coop 2.jpg
    coop 2.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 9
  • coop 3.jpg
    coop 3.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 9
Thank you! I added my geographical location, and I just ordered a thermometer. Here are the pictures of our coop. The two sides that don't have windows have vents in the roof overlap. I couldn't get a picture of one of the sides bc it is right next to our garage with not a lot of space!
Very cute coop!

Back
Top Bottom