Pullets no longer laying in nesting boxes

Laurda1842

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2023
Baltimore, MD
Good morning! I have two Polish Bantams who just started laying about 3 weeks ago. They laid for about 2 weeks in their nesting boxes with no issue. Earlier this week, they stopped and just started laying in the coop. I obviously want to break this habit ASAP for sanitary reasons and so that my other pullets who are getting ready to lay don't pick up the same vice . So far I have folliwed all of the guidance on the internet. I have confirmed there are not mites, blocked off their other areas of lay, moved them into the boxes repeatedly if I am here when they are laying, placed two golf balls in each nest, and I gave fresh nesting pads. Does anyone have any other tried and true methods? I haven't added curtains yet, but if anyone thinks that would work, I would be happy to try!

This is a question asked often as we get to this point in summer. I'm surprised the "similar threads" below came up with such a lame assortment as it gets asked multiple times by this time of the season. You're lucky, at any rate, that these novices are at least laying in the coop.

The nests could be your problem. Please post a photo of them. Tell us how many hens use how many nest boxes.

A nest box is a critical thing. It must be large enough for a hen to perform her ritual of titivating where she fussily arranges the nesting material. If you use a nest pad, that deprives her of this satisfying ritual. Pine shavings or straw are the hands down favorite materials for nests.

It must be high enough so she can stand up in it comfortably as the last stage of egg laying requires this in order for the egg to fall out as gravity assists her in this process.

The nest must also be accessible. If it is too high or doesn't have a perch to hop onto, the nest may simply be too much hassle to try to use.

And yes, many hens enjoy laying as a time to relax in peace and quiet and curtains do help her focus and not be distracted by other activities going on around her.

This is a question asked often as we get to this point in summer. I'm surprised the "similar threads" below came up with such a lame assortment as it gets asked multiple times by this time of the season. You're lucky, at any rate, that these novices are at least laying in the coop.

The nests could be your problem. Please post a photo of them. Tell us how many hens use how many nest boxes.

A nest box is a critical thing. It must be large enough for a hen to perform her ritual of titivating where she fussily arranges the nesting material. If you use a nest pad, that deprives her of this satisfying ritual. Pine shavings or straw are the hands down favorite materials for nests.

It must be high enough so she can stand up in it comfortably as the last stage of egg laying requires this in order for the egg to fall out as gravity assists her in this process.

The nest must also be accessible. If it is too high or doesn't have a perch to hop onto, the nest may simply be too much hassle to try to use.

And yes, many hens enjoy laying as a time to relax in peace and quiet and curtains do help her focus and not be distracted by other activities going on around her.
Thank you so much! I have attached an image of our nesting boxes. I am going to switch out the nesting pads with shavings this afternoon. We do have windows that shut over top of the nesting boxes, but it has been so warm here that I have been keeping them open now for a few weeks. Right now only two hens are using the boxes. I was just getting frustrated because they started laying in the boxes, so I just don't know what made them switch back over. I guess, however, learning isn't linear.

Attachments

• Nesting Boxes.jpg
    Nesting Boxes.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 31
You're also dealing with chickens who can be fickle creatures. One may decide to lay in a certain spot in the coop and then others copy her. Soon all are laying there. They are quite the copy-cats.

What are the dimensions of those nest boxes? Do they have the necessary head room for a full size hen to stand up in?

You're also dealing with chickens who can be fickle creatures. One may decide to lay in a certain spot in the coop and then others copy her. Soon all are laying there. They are quite the copy-cats.

What are the dimensions of those nest boxes? Do they have the necessary head room for a full size hen to stand up in?
The two boxes to the sides are 12x14x12. The middle one is 14x14x14. The two current naughty non-box layers are polish bantams, so they are pretty small. They had been choosing the two smaller boxes on the sides.

Do you have other hens who use the boxes?
If not, and these girls are youngsters with no elders from whom they can copy behaviors, then they are learning on their own.
If you have older hens as well, are they perhaps keeping the youngsters away?
The other hens are younger, so they are not laying yet. We did have a buff orpington who had just started laying (in the middle box) after my 2 polish bantams. Unfortunately, she passed away a few days ago.

Can you show us these?

Part of the problem is probably that the nests are on the floor level, so it's hot in the nests the floor in the coop is just about the same as far as they're concerned.
Here are the images of windows. We have window on the other side above the chicken door to allow for cross winds. I live in Baltimore, but in the AM, temperatures have been 80 or below, so warmish but not terribly warm.

Attachments

• Nestin Box Windows.jpg
    Nestin Box Windows.jpg
    475 KB · Views: 26
  • Nesting Box Windows 2.jpg
    Nesting Box Windows 2.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 26

Back
Top Bottom