Pullett has vent issues! UPDATE: Go back with flock???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wings, Mar 21, 2009.

1. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    We have an 8 month old RIR hen named Ginger Pye.
    We noticed something was wrong when she seemed lethargic and stopped laying.
    When I looked at her vent, I saw this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It looks like skin from her vent is hanging out a little, but I don't see any blood...
    I have seen her eat and drink a little bit. I also gave her some scrambled eggs and bread, but she didn't seem interested.
    Her poop is normal.
    So far, we have isolated her in the chicken ICU:

[​IMG]

If you have any idea, please help!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  2. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Is she egg bound? It'll be interesting to see what others have to say about it....

3. LadyShred

LadyShred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Alabama
    My hen has a similar problem, but a lot more . . . messy . . . as in poo-wise. I can't tell it she has any skin hanging out though. Your hen does look like she has prolapse, but I don't know how to treat it. That;s what I'm trying to find out! I'm awaiting answers to my post too!

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Quote:I see the problem...she has a some sort of glowing thing coming from her rear...might hook her up in a dark room until the glowing goes away...

[​IMG]

5. Tuckeredout

Tuckeredout New Egg

Mar 22, 2009
    Hi have registered to supply the info I located when trying to diagnose one of my own chickens, apparently your little girl is suffering for a prolapse, she has suffered some form of trauma, possibly during laying of a mishapen or larger sized egg. Treatment is fairly easy & vet intervention may not be necessary what you need to do is.(From memory)
    1/ Clean up the vent area of any faeces & push the small flap that is protruding back inside of her.
    2/you need to get her to stop the egg productioin process as if she keeps laying this will only aggravate the problem & heal time will take longer. Keep her in a darkened area to stop the egg production.
    3/ She will greatly appreciate a soft & smaller meal to reduce firmness of her motions.
    4/ok to treat the prolapse all you need is Haemorroid cream, yes i was surprisd at this also, this needs to be applied around & inside of the vent,to assist with repairing the prolapse, no egg being laid will speed up recovery.
    Can't remember heal time or how opften to apply the cream, I will search around & post you a link to the actual sight if I am lucjky enufff to find it again. [​IMG]

Good Luck, Tuckeredout [​IMG]

6. Tuckeredout

Tuckeredout New Egg

Mar 22, 2009
    Have searched & couldn't find the actual site, but I did find this, #14 mentions almost everything frm the prev mentioned site but also questions prep H, with a logical reason why not to use it.

Hope this helps to sort your little girl. www.thepoultrysite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6175&page=2 ( reply #14)

Regards

Tuckeredout:fl

7. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Quote:How nice of you to register to help!! Welcome from North Carolina!!

I just had a hen that gave me my first experience with prolapse, and you said everything right!! I have heard that you can soak their bum in warm water to help if she is egg bound, which could have caused the prolapse. I hope she is better soon!!

8. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    UPDATE:

She just laid an egg! I guess that might be good news in some cases, but in this one it isn't. THE EGG WAS INSIDE OUT! I haven't cracked it open yet, but it appears that the whole shell and free-floating yolk are encased in the membrane. Also, the egg is HUGE! It's like twice the size of normal eggs! (Pictures will follow: my camera's battery just died. [​IMG])

9. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    sounds like is may be a "fart" egg or a "lucky" egg..there are many different names for them but in general their first few eggs can be shell less and thats normal

10. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Quote:That is why she had the prolapse, the egg was so big she was straining to get it out! Hopefully she will be better now!![​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by