Pumpkin: canned or fresh?

Carolyn

Songster
11 Years
Apr 6, 2008
My family loves pumpkin pie and since it is not a popular dish in this area it doesn't regularly show up during the holidays except at Nana's house. I try to can and freeze most things we need but usually not pumpkin. Then a year or 2 ago we wound up with a shortage, bummer.

I bought a beautiful dark orange, cinderalla shaped one at farmers market. I have been looking at it for over a week wondering why I didn't take the simpler route and just buy a can. Today I decided to fix the pumpkin and was again questioning my sanity while I picked out the seeds. Then I counted my blessings:
1 at least =3 cans pumpkin
2 pumpkin seeds to roast
3 scraps for the chickens which some say have the added benefit of worming them
4 saved enough seeds to replant ( after I looked it up I found it is an heirloom from France noted for being a good cooking pumpkin - Rouge Vif d'Etampes)

Now I am kicking myself for not getting more and also the pale orange warty looking one next to it cause they are good eating too according to the pics and info in my seed catalogue from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds)

Here is our fav pumpkin pie recipe. Easy and turns out well.

1 can (or scant 2 cups cooked) pumpkin
1 can condensed milk
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves

1 deep dish pie shell

whipped cream or vanilla ice cream to serve with it optional

Preheat oven to 450. In a large bowl combine filling ingredients and mix well. Pur into pie shell and bake 15 minutes at 425. Reduce temp to 350 and bake 35 to ro minutes until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool before cutting. Serve slightly warm, room temp or cold.

You may need to put foil over edges of crust to keep from burning them.

Easy to make 3 at a time using my kitchen aide. I also like it without the crust when I want a dessert with a few less calories.

Hope you enjoy it! I have to watch in my oven to not over cook it. Be sure and preheat and feel free to lower the temp if you need to do so.

I actually got 10 cups which is 5 regular cans of pumpkins for my $5 pumpkin. It was so bright in color and thick walled.

I am so glad others agree. This is a great time to get pumpkins cheap or low priced. I am hopefully getting some free ones tomorrow from a display where a relative works.

Bless you for starting this thread, and for sharing that recipe!

I agree that fresh pumpkin is best for pies. I actually made 4 for Thanksgiving this year, and it was a hoot to listen to my DH's sister warn me ahead of time to use the canned stuff because it tasted better. She was adamant.

I just nodded and played along, changing none of my plans. But when it came time for dessert, boy did she go on and on about it being the best pumpkin pie she's ever had!

I decided to play nice and not tell her that it was icky fresh pumpkin in there
tongue.png

Pele, sometimes it is more fun keeping quiet and watching someone eat their words!!!! I love it.

Back
Top Bottom