Pumpkin for chickens. Cooked or raw?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hummingbird Hollow, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I have several pumpkins in my root cellar that I've been holding onto since Halloween to feed to my chickens. I found a discussion thread from a year back that talked about how much folk's chickens loved pumpkin, but it didn't mention whether they fed the pumpkin raw or cooked. Anyone willing to chime in? I know they love squash seeds and pumpkin seeds, but would love your advice on feeding the flesh itself.

We've had a few cold, snowy days here where my girls haven't had much opportunity to free-range (I only let them out now when I'm out to supervise because of our resident bobcat) and I think they'd enjoy some novelty.

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Lop 'em in half and set them out for them to enjoy, no cooking necessary [​IMG] Sometimes it takes a few days for the chickens to get used to these "very scary new objects" in their run, but they will eventually eat everything but the very outer shell.

3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I throw my punkies in raw. Warning though. If they don't break open well enough, be careful kicking them. They make a horrible mess on your shoes....

4. kefiren

kefiren Chillin' With My Peeps

they are multi-use. i caught my little EE cockerel "practicing his love" with a half a pumpkin.

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Raw is always better when possible as cooking deplete some of the nutritional value.
    I have lots of birds so i put the entire pumpkin unbroken out for them,takes them a while to get to the inside but keeps them entertained. [​IMG]

7. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Just be careful though if you have any white chickens because pumkins will turn their feathers reddish-orange. Just kidding.[​IMG] Raw or cooked, not sure if chickens actually have a preference. I give them the trimmings from butternuts,seeds,skins and cuttings and turns into a landshark frenzy.

8. Hummingbird Hollow

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Wow, that was quick! Thanks for all the great responses. I only have 7 pullets, so I think I'm going to quarter one of my big pumpkins and let them start with that. I think I should be able to refrigerate one of the quarters to offer in a few days and then perhaps freeze the other two for later in the winter, since we have a large chest-style freezer with extra space. The other, whole pumpkins should be OK in the root/wine cellar for another month or so...right?

9. Hummingbird Hollow

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Quote:That is too funny. I knew dogs "practice their love" on inanimate objects so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that a cockerel might value a practice partner as well. [​IMG]

10. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Quote:1. Use a machete or axe. It's more fun that way. [​IMG]

2. Yes. Your pumpkins ought to be OK in the cellar for a month. Give em the sniff test. We're talking chickens, so and don't sweat it too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by