Pumpkin Pie from your fresh pumpkins

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by MissPrissy, Oct 16, 2009.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Want to impress everyone for Thanksgiving? Bake pies from fresh pumpkins. Easy as 1,2,3.

Try it for yourself.

http://bigredcouch.com/journal/

Leave a comment and enter to win a new prize pack filled with t-shirts, homemade soap, books, etc.

2. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    I commented [​IMG] Nice pies Ang [​IMG]

3. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one of the neck pumpkins back in the hallway waiting to see if its ripe. I never have messed with them before, and I don't know what they look like ripe. I didn't get one stinkin' pumpkin from the others, which I really hated. I bake them, puree the pumpkin, and put it in good freezer bags. Lay them flat in the freezer and when they are frozen, you can stack them on top of each other and not take up as much room. I was watching the Today show, when Martha S. was on there, and she did her pumpkins in the oven too, but instead of cutting hers up in chunks, she cut them in half horizontially and sat them bottom side down in the pan, and the skin just popped right off when it cooled. I want to try that next time.

Does anyone ever make the pumpkin pie cake recipe? You make your pie filling, put it in a 9 x 13 pan, and sprinkle a yellow cake mix over it, melt a stick of butter and pour over. Sprinkle with pecans and coconut, bake at 350 until set. It is absolutely wonderful!!!

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Do you mean a cushaw pumpkin - crook neck and green and white stripe? or the yellow pumpkins with the crooked neck?

They all pretty make great dishes.

5. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I could've sworn I smelled pumpkin while reading that recipe! But we don't have any pumpkins in the house.... How peculiar....

6. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    That sounds delicious! I might just try that this year. Thanks! [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Leave your comments on the blog, Ladies, and you are instantly entered for the prize pack drawing.

8. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    WW: that sounds dee-lish! : 9

Funny story:
    GF & I decided many years ago to make pie from fresh pumpkin.
    Noone told us to bake/microwave/cook the pumpkin before peeling it.
    OMG - it took us forever to peel the darn thing!
    Then - after slaving for hours - my SO (later DH) came home, tasted it and said "What's the Big Deal? You just take some pumpkin, flour, sugar..."

we nearly hurt him.....

9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Hahahaha! You should add that story to my blog comments.

10. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I am soooo going to make those pies. Our local fruit and veggie stands have a ton of pumpkins right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by