Pumpkins

I find my chickens eat more squash and pumpkin when it’s been steamed to soften it up.

A few weeks back, after working with an organization to glean a squash field for the local food bank, I came home with 2 32-gallon trash cans of squash that was not suitable for human consumption due to dings, spots, etc.

I’ve been grabbing 5-6 a night and steaming them for a bit while I watch TV at night. I turn off the stove when they’re softening up, and then leave them in the pan on the stove until morning, when the girls get a every so lightly warm breakfast that’s softened up enough for them to really dig into the flesh.

I bought some hens a few months ago and I put them in my garden with a temp coop to quarantine them. I should have known better but I thought they would not go after the two medium sized pumpkins being they were whole. After a few days they both pumpkins pumpkins pecked up bad and had eaten quite a bit of them.

I just remembered, I threw a whole pumpkin in one of my coops the other day. It’s long gone because there’s not even a trace of it left...to the point where I completely forgot about giving it to them!

Back
Top Bottom