Pumpkins

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by porkchop48, Nov 16, 2011.

1. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I normally stop at a local fruit stand and get a pumpkin or some other kind of treat for my chcikens every few weeks or so. I stop yesterday and scored 8 pumpkins for a few bucks.

I would like to stop back and get some more with them being so cheap due to the season. Other than freezing ( the freezer is full of deer we are processing) is there a way to make them last longer?

How long do normal uncut pumpkins last? Some are still a little green.

2. hitnspit

hitnspit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    New Haven, Vermont
    Keep them dry.. I grow many for my birds and keep them on the front deck. in the cool weather the last for sometime. Man my birds go right through them like nothing. I do help them and keep the seeds for myself....well most of them...

3. porkchop48

porkchop48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Malta, OH
    I broke up two of them today for them.

I figured since it is getting cold and not a whole lot of bigs something to pick at would be a nice treat.

I will wait till they are gone and break a few more. The rabbits seem to love them as well.

I think I will stop back by on thursday and pick up a few more.

Dry I can do. Right now they are lined up in the tractor room of the barn. It stays cool in there so I hope the coolness will help.

4. Jake Levi

Jake Levi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Harrisville, MI
    The seeds are excellent for chickens, should be part of their ration, have them ground in when you get your feed done.

5. hensandchickscolorado

hensandchickscolorado Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Englewood Colorado
    Pumpkins will last for months in a cool dry place. Think root cellar. Your barn will probably work if you cover them with hay or newspaper and critters can't get to them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by