Pumpkins

Quote:
Thanks for that reply, I'll cut up another one tomorrow and see what happens during the course of the day. I just assumed they would tear into the first offering, like they do with just about everything else. I'll post back either way, just to update what happens, we'll see if they acquire a taste for it

OK, said I'd post back either way, for anyone interested. The hens loved the pumpkin cakes! I only set out 5 of them, but they were gone in minutes! I also spread out another raw pumpkin, at first they turned their beaks up, but as the day went, they've started pecking away. Now I can save all those extra cakes for the really cold weather (and won't have to process the pumpkins)
smile.png

I guess if I were a little more patient, they may have taken to it naturally. I still have some interest in some high octane winter feed, anyone have a comment about the "Winter Suet" statement?

Last edited:
that is a great idea. Mine dont touch it when hard but I put in oven for a while and they will pick at those softer ones but not devour them... I bet if I can mash it up and mix iwth oatmeal and scratch and put it in bags to freeze, then dole it out all winter long. Wonder how my DH will feel about me canning/freezing for the girls? Will save on feed money come winter though- right!

Quote:
Yeah, my wife thinks I'm nuts, but I'm looking forward to some pumpkin eggs tomorrow. Definitely will save some $, and give them something not readily available in Jan-Feb., especially if you've got 20 pumpkins laying around wondering if they'll even be eaten at all.

Back
Top Bottom