Puppy with coccidia

The vet has not changed his diet other than saying to keep him on wet food for a couple of days. The only reason I tried steak was because he literally was not eating anything. That's how I knew something was wrong and why I brought him in. And this surgery just happened yesterday after I made that post asking about how to get him to eat. The intussusception was not caused by the food I was giving him,it was caused by the parasite overload he had from before I got him. He was full of worms and coccidia and because of that it caused persistent diarrhea which caused this to happen. We dewormed him the first day we got him along with vaccinating him.
Okay, that makes sense. But it does seem odd the vet wouldn't recommend a bland diet.

I'm assuming that he's on whatever the vet recommended for food, worming, all that.
And don't think that this sick puppy will be a saint when he feels better! He's been super sick ever since he arrived, and when he's in a better state of health, be ready!
Mary
Yes, he was dewormed weeks ago when we first got him. I'm definitely ready for him. We are still working on commands and he's doing well.

Okay, that makes sense. But it does seem odd the vet wouldn't recommend a bland diet.
He's on a special prescription food to help him gain weight. It's a wet puppy food. He was malnourished when I got him and is now 15 weeks old and only 13 lbs. Maybe she's thinking this food will be gentle on his tummy while also helping him gain weight quicker. He's also on nutri-cal to get in extra vitamins and calories.

I'm wondering if maybe she didn't want to change his food and cause more tummy issues. He's been on this prescription wet food for about 3 weeks. We actually didn't expect him to eat for a day or 2 but he was back to eating small bites this morning and drinking last night.

I'm wondering if maybe she didn't want to change his food and cause more tummy issues. He's been on this prescription wet food for about 3 weeks. We actually didn't expect him to eat for a day or 2 but he was back to eating small bites this morning and drinking last night.
Switching to a boiled chicken and rice diet for a few days doesn't upset their stomachs - that's why it's recommended for dogs with diarrhea. But definitely don't change his diet without consulting the vet first.

Switching to a boiled chicken and rice diet for a few days doesn't upset their stomachs - that's why it's recommended for dogs with diarrhea. But definitely don't change his diet without consulting the vet first.
I just messaged his vet and will see what she says. I just looked through his discharge paperwork and there wasn't anything in there about feeding a bland diet. I'm definitely making sure he's not getting anything extra other than his puppy food but will follow what his vet texts back. This has been a long road. The vet thinks he's had this problem since before we got him by how necrotic the tissue was. Thankfully we've had him on antibiotics for the prolapse because she thinks he could have gone sepsis without.

Back
Top Bottom