Puppy with coccidia

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
We rescued an 11 week old boxer 2 weeks ago. Found out he had coccidia and treated him with Albon for 10 days. He's gotten so much better but is still having horrible diarrhea. Today he prolapsed. He's at the vet now, they got the prolapse back in, are starting him on another anti diarrhea and anti-inflammatory but has anyone experienced this with a puppy? How long does this diarrhea last? Here's a picture of our sweet boy.

Attachments

• IMG_20220808_203215_780.jpg
    IMG_20220808_203215_780.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 15
Follow the instructions of the vet to the letter. Ask them about probiotics. Your worry at this point is intestinal scarring. Your cute pup will likely need a special diet for life. I'm rooting for him.
These last 2 days have been hectic. He prolapsed yesterday. They got it back in. He prolapsed again today and they did emergency surgery. He's home now recovering.

So wanted to update this post. Amongst everything else that he went through he just had surgery again yesterday for intussusception. His small intestine was folding into his big intestine. I brought him to the vet because he just seemed off. Good thing I did because once I dropped him off his intestines were coming out of his bottom and they had to get him into surgery. Now that that is all cleared up we are hoping he starts to gain weight and improve. This journey has been super expensive. The surgery alone was $1200. We had to put down a $500 deposit and we are literally at $0 right now.

Wanted to update. Little Mateo seems to be doing amazing today. He woke up with the zoomies and ran up and down the hallways for a bit. He also has been having horrible water diarrhea since day 1 bit had a solid poop this morning! He's eating also. Still pretty picky with his puppy food but he's eating it.

Update on this post. Mateo is now 100% healthy and a normal 20 week old puppy. He's 40lbs now, learning commands still but knows stay, come, and leave it. He loves his chicken ladies and protects me at all cost from the evil vacuum. Here he is now, goofy little guy.

Attachments

• 20220930_102705.jpg
    20220930_102705.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 3
I would think so too, but I thought the OP asked on another thread about dog food recommendations and how they were trying to feed him wet dog food and steak, etc.
The vet has not changed his diet other than saying to keep him on wet food for a couple of days. The only reason I tried steak was because he literally was not eating anything. That's how I knew something was wrong and why I brought him in. And this surgery just happened yesterday after I made that post asking about how to get him to eat. The intussusception was not caused by the food I was giving him,it was caused by the parasite overload he had from before I got him. He was full of worms and coccidia and because of that it caused persistent diarrhea which caused this to happen. We dewormed him the first day we got him along with vaccinating him.

Back
Top Bottom