Purina flock raiser and chick starter. Would you stock up?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bigspringshatchery, Aug 25, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    A feed store close to where I go to college has 5lbs bags of flock raiser and chick starter on sale for a dollar a bag. I've only used flock raiser one time. Would you stock up on these? I usually buy my food from our co op and their chick starter is like 8 dollars a bag. So the purina would be more for say 50lbs but I know it's gotta be better. I bought 3 bags of flock raiser today. There is no tax or anything so it's a buck a bag

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2010
  2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Why is the food on sale? If its not expired, moldy etc. I would get several bags.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yea, why is it on sale? What's wrong with it?

4. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    Where at in AL? I might go and pick some up... [​IMG]

Candace

5. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I'm not sure if anything is wrong with it. I know it's not moldy. The bags are in great shape. They are plastic bags.

There is one in oxford and annistion

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I pay 14 dollars for a fifty pound bag of that stuff, so yeah, if they gave me a satisfactory explanation about why it's in 5 pound bags, i would get it.

7. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Quote:They didn't put it in the bags. It's purina bags. Looks just like the big bags but smaller and plastic instead if paper

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

sounds almost too good to be true -- check the expiration date and ASK why it's on sale... if they give you a really good explanation as in "we over-ordered" or "they shipped us more than we ordered" or "company promo price" etc., and the date is good, and no mold, I'd say go for it.

9. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Quote:Yea that's why I was a little slow to buy a bunch. I seen it last week bit didn't get any.

10. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I called and they told me it was bc they got a really good price on it and was passing on the savings. So if I buy a lot how long can I store it for and it still be good?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by