Purple Chicken

Henrietta23

Songster
12 Years
Oct 20, 2007
Eastern CT
Yes, I posted in the right area. This is what we had for dinner tonight. A friend loaned me her copy of Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious cookbook. The recipes involve hiding pureed vegetables in foods to trick kids into eating them. My son happens to be pretty good about eating veggies but I tried something out of curiosity tonight. I had some left over beets so I pureed them and then followed the recipe for chicken nuggets. Basically you take chicken breast meat cut up into nugget sized pieces, dip it into a mixture of egg and pureed veggies. I used my beets. Then you dredge the meat in a mixture of bread crumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and parmesan cheese, etc. As I was cooking them my son walked over to ask what was for dinner. I showed him and it wasn't until he said, "We're having PURPLE CHICKEN for dinner???" that I realized the humor in it!
Purplechicken3.jpg

Last edited:
You know, it really was quite tasty! I'm not sure how much nutritional benefit the beet puree added but my almost 6 yo gobbled it up.

Probably really high in potassium, maybe iron and maybe c...I'm sure it was healthy..well, not the frying part, lol! but the rest, yeah!! Who cares every now and then!! Eat what you like!! It looks good to me!
lau.gif

Only used a little oil to keep them from sticking so they were healthier than deep fried!
wink.png
And made from scratch so no preservatives and stuff like the ones that come in a box. Feel good about that part!

Back
Top Bottom