purple eggs???

Pics
Quote:
you may be referring to de Quechua but this birds are not new, they are older than Columbus...
lol.png

Quote:

what is the ee you are referring to? i take it the bcm is black copper morans? i would like to get some of these, but need to know for sure the breed.
thanks. princessdingus

what is the ee you are referring to? i take it the bcm is black copper morans? i would like to get some of these, but need to know for sure the breed.
thanks. princessdingus

WOW I was looking for this thread again to ask some questions and it popped up in my email. It's a sign!

princessdingus since the thread keeps dying out I'm not sure what your EE question is other that they are usually misnamed Americanas with an "i" and are mixed breeds using either an Ameraucana or Aruacana and another breed. EE = Easter Egger and the can lay, white, cream, pink, green, blue or brown eggs. BCM lately is used more for Blue Copper Maranas and FBCM for French Black Coppers.

I hope I answered the question for you.

OK Like I said I was looking for this thread. I've been trying to breed towards some shade of purple, but so far I'm still off. Two of my pullets just started laying and the eggs are sort of gray! The two over the ast 2 days have had a small brown spot on one side and blue on the other?? There is a faint shade of violet showing.

Am I on the right track and why am I getting to different spots on these?

I have a chick that hatched from one of Ruth's blue eggs and it has feathered legs. I guessing mom was an EEnand dad was, at least part, French Marans. Maybe I'll get some purple eggs!

This is a fun thread.

Wolftracks, what are you breeding to get your violet tinted eggs?

I have a chick that hatched from one of Ruth's blue eggs and it has feathered legs. I guessing mom was an EEnand dad was, at least part, French Marans. Maybe I'll get some purple eggs!

This is a fun thread.

Wolftracks, what are you breeding to get your violet tinted eggs?

I'd like to say it's all scientific, but it's not.

Here's what pink and blue has gotten me so far

Project eggs

Last edited:
I'm working on a deep pink, so later I'll have a nice purplish egg. The pink is getting deeper in the one pullet's eggs, so once those hatch out, I'm hoping that breeding the offspring together will at least lock on the lavender color for later on.
Neat! That's almost lavender!

I've got a golden cuckoo marans that lays a plum colored egg. 3rd egg, top row.

I like that egg. I lost my FBCM hen that did that. The bloom helped the color, but these aren't covered in bloom, so I'm getting excited.

Last edited:
Although pink and blue bred together sound like a great idea, all that will get you are shades of light green and possibly wihitish or pinkish colors depending on the parent birds.
wink.png

The easiest way to get a purple egg is through dark layers who, in a sort of random draw, may lay you a decent amount of eggs with a coating on them to make them appear purple (but it can be washed off)

The next best is to get birds like that and breed them to more who lay it more consistently (the coating) and see if you can get it to genetically become a consistent trait, the extra white layer (bloom/blume) A frew of my Araucanas lay consistently chalky/pasty blue eggs, no matter their age or cycle, and so I've bred them to some Marans who seem to give me purple eggs once every 3-8 eggs. I'm hoping in the further generations, no other outcrosses, I'll get another brown layer but with the Araucana's consistent coating. My F1 Olive Eggers from the cross already lay a LOT of eggs with chalky coating on them making some weird and neat colors, but I'm shooting for a consistent dark brown layer too.

My current purple. It can range from this blushy plum purple to an even deeper shade of a deep royal type color with "icing" on top, depending on if the extra coating is thick and course in texture or finely sprayed into the pores of the egg, like shown below.

Illa I wish I could get a better pic of these eggs. They are lavender in color. No bloom. They started out gray at first, but as they've laid more the lav coloring is now showing. They even have a sheen to them. I'm working at getting them much darker, but when I started with a very dark egg, I'd get maybe a bloom, but the shell color wasn't what I wanted. I've never cracked one open. LOL I'll check inside color after I either get one to hatch or when one fails to hatch. You can see tiny tiny purple flecks in person on one of the girl's eggs. I really need a good camera. My phone just doesn't cut it.

Back
Top Bottom