purple hull peas?

ninjapoodles

Sees What You Did There
11 Years
May 24, 2008
Central Arkansas
I don't know what possessed me, other than the fact that my daughter liked the look of them, but I bought a mess of purple-hull peas at the farmers' market today, and I'm shelling them now, with ZERO idea of what to do with them. I've never cooked black-eyed peas, either, so all the people telling me to "cook them just like you would black-eyed peas" did not help!
tongue.png

Any ideas to make them tasty?

Wash them, look them, set them to slow boil with a piece of bacon. serve them with fresh tomatoes, corn on the cob and corn bread with butter! Good eating!

We can eat the whole thing? My mom told me to shell them, and the people I got 'em from said to, as well! Well, I'll be.

I have a freaking ton of these things. Should I maybe shell some, and keep some in the pod to cook tonight?

Miss Prissy, what is that 2nd step there in your instructions?

You can only snap the very youngest and smallest. you have to shell purple hulls.

"look them" - take a a small hand full and roll them over 'looking' for bug bites or bad spots.

DEFINITELY cornbread! Maybe I will make some Hoppin' John!

And I was wondering if the chickens would eat these tough old things (the hulls).

Back
Top Bottom