Purple wisteria?

howfunkyisurchicken

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
Tn
I want to spiffy up my run a little this spring. My chicken compound is surrounded by a hideous mismatched chainlink fence (free is free- but its also butt ugly). A friend if mine gave me a bunch of purple wisteria seeds, and I thought they'd be a great way to hide the horribly offensive thing. I've also got some hostas and butterfly bushes I want to put back there. I have hostas and butterfly bushes around the house and they've never bothered them. But the wisteria would be growing right up the fence. If they taste test it, is it going to be a problem? They're spoiled rotten, and get plenty to eat between their treats and normal feed, which is why I think they don't really bother my flower beds. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.....

From Wiki:
Quote:
I don't know if it has ever been studied in chickens.
Lots of plants have some sort of toxin. I would be concerned if planted in a run area where the birds might eat more, if it is just there for them or if it had something like berries.

Imp

I have wisteria. Two kinds: the purple kind-horribly invasive and heavy, and a white one that is not as aggressive. I am currently trying to eradicate the purple one....not an easy task. The white one is on one corner of the run and the purple is in an area that they spend time under free ranging. Have not had any issues with either.
sharon

Thank you both! The wisteria is going to be planted outside the run, but right up against the fence. My butterfly bushes are purple too, so I'm thinking they'll leave them alone. I was kind of expecting they would need some maintenance, but I can get them with some pruning shears the same time I do the butterfly bushes. Thanks again!

That purple stuff borders on competition with kudzu. If I had nothing else I would never plant it. It's killing pine here. You can's stop it. I planning on planting Confederate Jasmine. The flower smells great and trimming keeps in under control. It stays leafy all the time for shade too. My chickens love hiding in that stuff.

Hi there,

I just saw your post about the Wisteria and noticed that it was posted during Feb. 2012. I am wondering if it is possible to exchange with you few cuttings of the Wisteria, with postage?

I am looking for Purple Wisteria cutting and I'll appreciate in advance your quick response.

Thank you,

Jordan

Back
Top Bottom