Pus pockets in my roosters comb

Idaho rooster

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2023
I got a picture of my roosters comb. Sorry it is fuzzy and I have a weird expression on my face. I think it is a little better. When I squeeze it now, the pus does not ooze out.
Comb 1.jpg
Comb 2.jpg

I got a picture of my roosters comb. Sorry it is fuzzy and I have a weird expression on my face. I think it is a little better. When I squeeze it now, the pus does not ooze out.View attachment 3459418View attachment 3459419
Does he act normal? What color is the pus like substance? Is his comb hot? Has anything happened to him recently or anything possible that could have happened to him to injure him?

Are mosquitoes active where you live? The comb lesions are consistent with fowl pox, likely dry form. I've had good luck using Blu-kote on comb lesions such as your roo has. He will enjoy strutting with a purple comb for a few weeks and likely will set a new fashion trend.

Looks like dirt/debris/dead skin that's accumulated in the nooks and crannies of the comb. It's not that uncommon in rose or walnut combs.
Most dig or press the debris out using a qtip, orange stick, etc. You can apply a bit of anti-fungal cream if you wish, but it will attract dirt/debris. You may find that you will need to periodically wash or clean the comb.

Back
Top Bottom