Putting a metal roof over an asphalt roof.

IndyFlockMama

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
We have a purchased coop and run that has an asphalt roof and the rain has started to separate the shingles away from the boards. What we wanted to do was just cover the asphalt roof with a metal roof and bring the edges out farther, and purchase a flange for the middle top section. Will the metal roof freeze and thaw underneath and create mold? Or should it be okay?

We have a purchased coop and run that has an asphalt roof and the rain has started to separate the shingles away from the boards. What we wanted to do was just cover the asphalt roof with a metal roof and bring the edges out farther, and purchase a flange for the middle top section. Will the metal roof freeze and thaw underneath and create mold? Or should it be okay?

roofers put new metal over old asphalt all the time. we have a house that has just that. metal over asphalt.

We already had the pieces of metal roofing left over from the barn, so thought we would use that up.

I did exactly this but for a different reason.

I live in Alabama and it gets into the 90s and stays that way for months. It was quite hot in the coop during the day. I nailed 2X2s onto the flat asphalt shingle roof and then put steel roofing sheets over it. It dropped the inside temp by 10 to 15 degrees.

The 1.5 inch airspace allowed air to circulate and cool the roof. I ended up putting the same steel siding on the sides with Styrofoam insulation in between it and the walls.

Back
Top Bottom