Putting eggs back in the nest.

LindaRMartin

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
I had to leave home earlier than usual yesterday. So, my husband gathered the eggs. I have a little curly feathered hen who had laid about six eggs. I thought they were probably fertile so I had been leaving them to see if she went setting after she filled her nest with eggs. My husband did not know why I was leaving them there, so he brought the eggs in. I put them in the refrigerator overnight. Can I put them back in the nest and see if anything comes of them or is it a lost cause?

If she hasn't been sitting on them all that long, put them back. And yes, mark them with a sharpie "leave in nest!!!". My hubby does this all the time too. He's banned from the coop now :gig
I just hatched Silkie eggs in my incubator that I had put in the refrigerator for several days (and stored improperly with the fat end down). I now have cute little refrigerated chicks running around in my brooder ;)
Nikki

Last edited:
Folks hatch refridgerated eggs from Trader Joe's and the like, I don't see why your eggs won't hatch. Especially if she hasn't started brooding them, they haven't started developing yet, they're just kind of on hold for now.

Back
Top Bottom