Putting hardware cloth up question

jeria

Songster
May 5, 2017
Independence MO
I should be mowing my grass. Making a materials shopping list for my coop instead. My plan is to attach hardware cloth to my run with the screw and washer method. Many have suggested to reinforce that with wood over it. I'm not sure what to use. Those slats for batten/board siding is what pops in my mind. Suggestions would be very welcome.

I have used 1x3 lumber over the hardware cloth. If you are using the boards over the hardware cloth making it sandwiched between you do not need the screw and washer set up. The lumber will hold it securely.
I have a small run that I used 2x2's to secure the wire and it too is holding strong.

Trying to sandwich it with screws and washers already there may prove problematic. I think they will interfere with adding the lumber.

We attached the hardware cloth with staples and have 1" x 4" wood strips over the seams. It helped make it more secure and also gives it a more finished look.

Inside the coop where the hardware cloth covers the window openings and vent opening, we used screws and fender washers.

Thanks for your replies. We have a huge coon issue here so trying to make it as secure as I can. They are nasty destructive critters. I used to think they were cute. 1.5 inch screws and washers to hold the cloth on,not sure how close together yet, then something over that.

I really prefer to use the board over the wire without the screws and washers. It leaves no gap for nasty coon fingers to grab. Try both ways out on some scrap wood. It will be pretty clear why most folks use either the screws and washers or staples and boards.

I understand about raccoons and the damage they do. I hope they take one look at your coop and run then move off for easier pickings.

I really prefer to use the board over the wire without the screws and washers. It leaves no gap for nasty coon fingers to grab. Try both ways out on some scrap wood. It will be pretty clear why most folks use either the screws and washers or staples and boards.

I understand about raccoons and the damage they do. I hope they take one look at your coop and run then move off for easier pickings.

I'm thinking double protection: I had $8000 + damage to my house a couple years ago from coons; my next-door neighbor just lost her teen chicks the day she moved them to the former dog run to coons. They dug under the fence with no blockade for digging. Also how do you hold the dang wire mesh between boards without fastening it? You have to keep it there somehow. It's just me doing most of this. Dealing with it can be rather contrary as it has a mind of it's own unless secured.

I would be setting me some raccoon traps. If I see one track close to my chicken pens---I get the traps out and usually catch it in a night or two.

A good investment of an air stapler. That is if you have compressor.
An upholstery stapler works too. It takes a bit to do a lot of staples but it works.

If you do go with the screws and washers give the boards a whack with a mallet everywhere that the screw heads make it bulge out. If you do it while the boards are new the heads will imbed in the boards without cracking. Done after the wood ages much and the boards will split.

I really do understand the need to keep the coons out. I trap and dispose. Not everyone will agree with doing so. I accept that.

Oh and there is a screw that cuts its own threads but has a wide head so you may be able to skip washers. It is called a "modified truss head screw".

We used 3/4" fence staples, then 2"x4" woven wire, then 1"x4" boards with screws into the framing. Mary

Attachments

• IMG_0222.JPG
    IMG_0222.JPG
    899.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    868.4 KB · Views: 17
I would be setting me some raccoon traps. If I see one track close to my chicken pens---I get the traps out and usually catch it in a night or two.

Traps do work as I had that done when they invaded my attic, in this city you are required to have a license to trap them. Since my backyard is visible to workers in the city park violating regs is not a good plan.

Back
Top Bottom