Putting your Pullets in with adult females When?

I have an Austrolorp and a Wyondotte that are both two years old. I also have an EE and a RIR that are 8 weeks old. I am in the process of trying to get the big girls to accept the teens. I have put a small, fenced in run inside of the big girls run and each day place the teens into the smaller run. So far the big girls are not too happy with their new cellmates. The big girls pace along side of the teens pen and peck at them if they get too close to one of the areas of their fence with larger mesh. At night I herd the teens into a cat carrier that I have at the opening of their mini run. I then carry them into the hen house. In the hen house the teens have a large (18 X 18 X 30) cage that is their home. They go in there with their food and water at night to keep them safe from the big hens. I have been doing this for two weeks now. The big girls do not get as worked up as they did when we first started this routine but . . . I am sure they would still attack the younger ones if given the opportunity.

we tried to put our 15 week old delawares in with our 34 week old barred rocks lastnight and this morning the barred rocks were trying to kill the delawares. We tried to put our leghorns in with rir's also and they liked to pecked them to death so I guess we will just have to keep ours seperated

My brother says that because they are the same breed I shouldn't have a problem.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom