PVC with cement for a chicken pen?

acreed

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
I have seen several post and pages online where people use PVC pipes to build a frame for their pens. I know that won't work for me as predators will be able to go under by lifting up the pen. My question is this: if I used a slightly larger pipe (maybe 11/2 or 2" pipe) and filled the bottom pieces with cement, do you think it would be heavy enough to hold it down?

Depends on what the size of it will be...

If it is going to be a movable structure, you'll need to keep the weight down as much as possible otherwise you'll have the PVC without cement, breaking.

If it is going to be a stationary structure, you can always give the corners of the PVC structure cement feet.
Then it won't go anywhere.

I have seen several post and pages online where people use PVC pipes to build a frame for their pens. I know that won't work for me as predators will be able to go under by lifting up the pen. My question is this: if I used a slightly larger pipe (maybe 11/2 or 2" pipe) and filled the bottom pieces with cement, do you think it would be heavy enough to hold it down?
I think the whole idea of using pvc in the first place is that it is lightweight and moveable. People then add a concrete block or weight on the corners. Filling some of the pipes with cement would certainly weight it down but defeat the whole idea of using pvc. Why not just use PT 2x4's since it would be easier to construct, cheaper, and be as heavy as your cement filled pvc?

Back
Top Bottom