Pygmy Goats & Chickens!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by TheLadyChickens, Feb 17, 2012.

1. TheLadyChickens

TheLadyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    Williamston, MI
    Hi guys!

Got a couple questions!

1) Does anyone have the curious combination of pygmy goats (or any dairy goats) and chickens? Any issues?

We're thinking of selling our old chicken coop that we fixed up and buying a chicken coop/goat house like this:

(hopefully for cheaper, they want $3,200 or $3,600 with shipping)
    http://www.myamishgoods.com/pro_details.php?proid=386&subid=1

2) There are cheaper buildings made of resin/vinyl. Would this be harmful to the chickens or goats? I am hoping I can cut through the material with a saws-all to make a goat door and a chicken door. 15x8x8 for $1,629. They are supposed to last for a life time and never rot or need painting like a wood structure.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_149795-7512...br|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

3) Final question. I live on 1.5 acres in a farm area of Williamston, MI. Yet I am zoned residential. Am I only allowed to have pygmy goats (as "pets") or could I get away with having a dwarf dairy goat? I'd really love some fresh milk/goat cheese! As long as I can claim them as pets and give them names I heard I was safe lol. But is it only for pygmy goats? Our township is a pain to deal with, so I was just wondering if anyone had experience with this already.

Thank you guys! SPRING WILL BE HERE ONE DAY!!!! Keep faith lol!

2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Well, this summer we had pygmies and goats, not in the same housing, though. We just let them roam outside together, but the goats always bothered the chickens by chewing on their tail feathers, chasing them, etc. So we just made a huge pen for the goats and just let them have space in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by