Pygmy Nanny Pregnant and I have horrible Luck.

UnttouchableRose

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Blountville, TN
I borrowed a friends Boer to breed my Boer nanny's this fall. I kept them in their lot while I kept my pygmy out with the horses to keep her from the billy.

Guess what?! Nanny is looking to be the only one preggers!?
roll.png
I don't even want to know how this happened.

Anyway, I have had rotten luck with pygmy's and babies thus why I had her away. I've had 5 pygmy babies 3 lived 2 died all were either pulled or c-sections. One of the ones that lived being this nanny.

I lost all of my breeding dates for horses, goats and dogs in the house fire so best I can figure is using pictures of the goats and she should be due anytime in the next two weeks.

She is doing the normal, talking to her sides, frequent urination and already has a good size bag.

I'm not at the barn to watch her now so my FIL has allowed me to convert his dog's lot into a goat pen.
big_smile.png
Hopefully we can get her moved in this weekend.

Anyway, I have horrible luck with goat babies and know there is alot of goat people on here so I am coming for help!

I lost ALL of my boer babies last year but that's another story, I was present for birth and all were deformed and stillborn except BG which died at 3weeks old witha cleft palate, some may remember her.

I have heard that nanny's only carry babies as big as what they can deliver. This nanny's mother's first baby was so big that after her c-section the dead baby was as big as her. So I don't really trust that.

If anyone has any advice I greatly appreciate it!~

My first thought was that the Boer Buck is way too bug to have bred a pygmy. She could very easily die trying to give birth to such big babies. If it were my pygmy, I would terminate the pregnancy if its not too late. Not trying to be harsh, just looking out for your little girl.

Quote:
If I had known she was pregnant I would have. I had NO CLUE she even got near him and I still haven't figured out how she did, I didn't even know she was pregnant until she started bagging and showing classic pregnancy signs. My house burnt down Jan 1st and I'm not right with my critters like I used to be to watch them.

"I have heard that nanny's only carry babies as big as what they can deliver. This nanny's mother's first baby was so big that after her c-section the dead baby was as big as her. So I don't really trust that."
Yep, that pretty much disproves that theory.
I guess the only thing you can do is to let your vet know ahead of time that you are expecting a problem and monitor her close.
If she is bagged, urinating a lot and talking to her baby I wouldn't wait until this weekend to get her moved. It sounds like she needs to be monitored now.
Good Luck. I hope the birth goes well. But prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Quote:
I'm ctually hoping to get her moved tonight but with the weather no promises, and catching her well that's another story. I do have a neighbor keeping close eye on her for me so that helps. He's experienced.

Oooh this stinks! I'll keep her in my thoughts.

I had a Nigi doe who was (I hope) accidentally bred to a Boer when I purchased her (they told me she was bred to their Nigi buck...). She successfully kidded a SINGLE, huge doeling with no assistance...so it can be done.

Stock up on lube...you know the drill. Hope this isn't another C for you...

You might even ask the vet if it wouldnt be a good idea to induce her at this point. If she's on feed, I'd reduce it drastically to prevent too much fetal growth over the next couple weeks - kinda risky but might be the best idea.

Quote:
I was hoping you'd post!

Got gallons of lube, and my kidding/foaling bucket ready, I have a mare ready to foal also.

I have pulled her off feed hoping that would help.

My vet is going to check her next Wednesday if we make it that long.... I am hoping she'll suggest inducing, when I can catch her it feels like there is only one kid so I'm hoping it's a small one!

Thanks!

Poor girl... those goaties are mischievious little things! This year we caught Hazel and Wildkat breeding through the chain-link fence. Hazel is due this March from that.

I am sorry about the other babies. I really hope the kid(s) come safely and momma is fine after it all is done. I have been told that I'm over protective of my babies but I usually sleep in the horse trailer with the expecting does for the last two weeks. Although none of my ten kiddings came in the night
hmm.png
. I live for kidding time! I don't have anything due until the end of febuary.
barnie.gif

Hope all goes well.
fl.gif

Be sure to be prepared when the time comes(kid puller, phone #s, mental or material list of what to do when kids are not positioned right, ect.). Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom