Pyrography (wood burning)

Mary Of Exeter

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Rowan County, NC
Is anyone here into wood burning? If so, how about sharing some of your work?
smile.png
I just recently got the opportunity to try it out, and now I'm addicted! It's SO much fun, and the outcome is so neat looking
smile.png
I've only burned two things - a wooden egg, and a heart shaped block. The egg is at school still being held for a grade, but I managed to take this one home. The wood could be a bit more smooth, but it's still alright. I can't wait to do some signs and bird pictures on flat pieces. Working on 3-D objects can be a bit tricky and hurt your hands, haha
tongue.png

9hni2o.jpg

zumgxx.jpg

2cfyzxj.jpg

All sides of it are decorated, but the edges are the same general design.

It's really easy actually. The wood burning tool is handled just like a pencil - only this pencil can burn the crap out of your finger if you're not paying attention
tongue.png
There's different kinds of burning 'pens' and different tips you can screw onto them. Some are rounded and dull, which are better for curved lines, and others are more chisel-like to make nice straight lines. The set our school has is pretty simple, and probably quite cheap. Just turn it on, it heats up, and you start drawing
smile.png
The longer you hold the pen in one place or the more you go over it, the darker the line will be. I'm sure the more expensive kits probably have different settings you can use, since some work I've seen had a LOT of different shades in it. I haven't quite gotten that skilled with it yet.

http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/projects/21924.jpg

lol.png

I'm for sure going to look into this!! I'm starting my own little farm with hatching and selling chicks and eggs and hatching eggs for people and THEN I want to start my Silkie breeding pen and already have a little more than $200 left over from all the feed costs, etc.
And I have a big order coming up, starting that pen,
fl.gif
on getting a cabinet incubator, then might get into this lol:bun

Wow, those are beautiful. I used to get a wood burning set every Christmas when I was a kid back in the "olden" days. I never did learn how to do it. Now i'm inspired. Maybe i'll try again.

thumbsup.gif
wow they are nice . iv never tried wood burning but had plenty of finger burning when iv used a soldering iron
barnie.gif

your very talented
yippiechickie.gif

Thanks guys
smile.png
This is definitely something I'd recommend trying if you haven't already. It's so much fun! Hopefully when I get a kit of my own, the tool won't be so wide. The ones at school are a bit awkward to hold, especially since you can only hold it so close to the tip before the plastic gets pretty hot (which I thought the point of the plastic was to NOT get hot
lol.png
) I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually though.

Back
Top Bottom