Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

Page 3 @ https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/planet-rothschildi.714603/page-3

And here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mating-season-in-australia.641934/page-24

Hi, Biophiliac. You'd have to 'mine' the two threads linked here, which are the two main projects. But the poop-ring photo is, I think, in another post -- so many posts over the years!

Here's Brief Notes:

Dietary: poops -- 'blessings' (It's an old joke here) -- may show worms. Otherwise, it can be a no-brainer to tell that a poop -- and you may examine poops two or three seasons old -- is from a certain season. That is, for example, an 'autumn poop' because it has lots of mature seeds visible.

Movement: poops show, if the observer is actually cross-referencing, the colours of the soils on which the pooper has grazed. Doesn't really tell you where they grazed. But it does conclusively show that birds are moving from pasture to pasture on a daily basis.

Also shows if wild birds use a trail, and other details about movement. Can otherwise show density of birds in an area.

Pecking-order: stronger birds get better access to sought-after foods -- like my plums -- so just by looking at certain poops in certain locations, Biophiliac, you take a wild guess at the status of the bird.

Roost poops: they look different (apart from being in a roost . . . ) and they can show v roughly how long a particular roost has been used.

Poop rings: special category. Only in ten years ever seen four or five of these. (And only ever a pinch of data from direct observations: Dad and chicks sleep breast-to-breast in a tight circle)

Summary I was several years into the observations (11th year at this point) before I began to understand the value of 'indirect evidence.' These include feathers, bones, nests, footprints -- but blessings are the best source of this class of data.

Fun Bonus Fact: I sometimes watch stuff on cassowaries. (Oz is the only continent with two native ratites.) Saw a fine photo of Cassowary poop from which a jungle-tree seedling was germinating:

Last edited:
One observation was made while following a band of wild horses... Worm loading was pretty high at one point they they went through a certain shrub that is bitter tasting... They nibbled away.... within a few days the worm load was diminished considerably.

I wonder if wild birds do the same....???

deb
Cool!:D

:lol::gig:lau

How long did that stay on there?

Haha, not too long. I put it on her three times before I got a good shot, and then I called that good enough and took it off.

She didn't mind at all though. She was very happy to let me put it on her. It mostly got knocked off when she started to try to get into something, like vigorously yanking on my jacket string knocked it off once, since it wasn't on super securely.

Back
Top Bottom