Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

Interesting to note, egg C is a very smooth texture, which my book says tend to lose weight faster. So I'll be keeping my eye on that.

Side note, The Emu Farmer's Handbook is awesome, and if you own emus and can get your hands on a copy, it's worth it. Some of the info is a little outdated, but there's a lot of good stuff in there.

Well this is starting to get annoying, lol. Here's today's weight loss:

emu egg weight loss 2.png

B and C are actually just about perfect, because I added more tape, so them not losing as much weight as they should have is fine with the added weight of the tape taken into account. The big eggs though, they're all still not losing enough. Oy. Gonna go dry probably for the next day to catch them up.

Well this is starting to get annoying, lol. Here's today's weight loss:

View attachment 1652523

B and C are actually just about perfect, because I added more tape, so them not losing as much weight as they should have is fine with the added weight of the tape taken into account. The big eggs though, they're all still not losing enough. Oy. Gonna go dry probably for the next day to catch them up.

how long does it take to be sure they are developing? Is that confirmed with the tilt test, or can you tell for sure before then?

how long does it take to be sure they are developing? Is that confirmed with the tilt test, or can you tell for sure before then?

Really you can't tell until they've been in a month. Proper weight loss is a good sign, but until you can do the tilt test and the heat test, you can't be 100% sure.

Okay, weekly weight loss check in. Egg A lost 12.6, it's a gram behind. Egg B lost 13.3, and that's 2.1 grams over. Egg C lost 13, which is 1.3 over. Egg D lost 11.9, which is .9 under. Egg E lost 10.9, which is 2.5 under.

None of that is surprising based on the weight loss I was seeing. I think I finally have it pinned down though, with today's weight loss being pretty close to what was needed for the larger eggs. The smaller eggs lost too much, unsurprisingly, so more tape was added. If they keep that up I might see if they'll squeeze into one of my other incubators and just do a higher humidity incubator for them alone. But we'll see if it needs to come to that.

Back
Top Bottom