Pyxis' Emu Chat Thread

I read the Harry Potter books before the Movies came out. :th:old

deb
Ditto.... books are way better. Movies are like cliff notes.

I think I finally caught up on this thread. I saw where Pyxis said 6' fences are required.... I read somewhere that they had standard 4' farm fences. Has anyone kept these birds with 4' fences? I'll trust what I read here over other random websites... just wondering if it can be done.

Ditto.... books are way better. Movies are like cliff notes.

I think I finally caught up on this thread. I saw where Pyxis said 6' fences are required.... I read somewhere that they had standard 4' farm fences. Has anyone kept these birds with 4' fences? I'll trust what I read here over other random websites... just wondering if it can be done.

Well, Ciara jumped a four foot fence when she herself was barely four feet tall, so I'm thinking if the emus are staying in a four foot tall fence, it's because they haven't bothered to try going over them yet. Because they absolutely can jump a four foot tall fence, lol.

Well, Ciara jumped a four foot fence when she herself was barely four feet tall, so I'm thinking if the emus are staying in a four foot tall fence, it's because they haven't bothered to try going over them yet. Because they absolutely can jump a four foot tall fence, lol.
Well alrighty then! No Emu for me. Lol I’m trying to figure out what to put on my front pasture. It is 20 ish acres, some trees, but fully fenced with a four foot farm fence. I was thinking alpaca but they don’t do well with dogs. May need to research that a little more. Or maybe wooly sheep. Emu would have been fun!

Well alrighty then! No Emu for me. Lol I’m trying to figure out what to put on my front pasture. It is 20 ish acres, some trees, but fully fenced with a four foot farm fence. I was thinking alpaca but they don’t do well with dogs. May need to research that a little more. Or maybe wooly sheep. Emu would have been fun!

I bet with 20 acres they' d be fine. They could jump it but with that much room why would they. Also by the time they could jump they would be trained to stay in the yard like a fee range chickens. It's all about the illusion of containment, I mean a cow or horse could plow through most fence if it really wanted to. You could also add like three strands of unbarbed wire to the top of a 4ft fence, I bet that would stop any jumpers. My birds are in a 6 ft fence but it's not like they are jumping all the time, I think the visual barrier stops them from trying.

I bet with 20 acres they' d be fine. They could jump it but with that much room why would they. Also by the time they could jump they would be trained to stay in the yard like a fee range chickens. It's all about the illusion of containment, I mean a cow or horse could plow through most fence if it really wanted to. You could also add like three strands of unbarbed wire to the top of a 4ft fence, I bet that would stop any jumpers. My birds are in a 6 ft fence but it's not like they are jumping all the time, I think the visual barrier stops them from trying.
I never would have believed I if I didn’t see it with my own eyes but my neighbors steer came over the fence like a freaking gazelle. We had beautiful lush green pasture and his place was an over grazed wasteland. I felt sorry for his animals. He has since gotten rid of his cows foe which I am grateful since he didn’t care for them properly.

I would hate to raise emu and have them go over the fence and get shot. Entirely possible out here. I would not mind stringing hot wire around the fence tho if that may be enough.

How do you think they would react to dogs? We try to keep the neighbors dogs off our place but it is a losing battle. The dogs are used to being around livestock so I don’t worry about them chasing the birds but I don’t want the animals to be constantly stressed. That is why I ruled out alpaca.

@dpenning Depends on the temperament of the dog and emu. Based on experience: If the dog is hostile and chases the emus, some emus may hold a grudge against the dog and fight back while other emus will run away and be very stressed around the dog. If the dog is docile, the emu might peck at them or might kick out of excitement. Dogs can do serious damage and even kill emus, so interactions between the two should always be monitored, particularly if the dog doesn't trust emus or likes to chase them.

Edit: And with the right kick to the face/spine an emu could kill a dog! So there's potential for the situation to quickly go awry if the two aren't getting along.

@dpenning Depends on the temperament of the dog and emu. Based on experience: If the dog is hostile and chases the emus, some emus may hold a grudge against the dog and fight back while other emus will run away and be very stressed around the dog. If the dog is docile, the emu might peck at them or might kick out of excitement. Dogs can do serious damage and even kill emus, so interactions between the two should always be monitored, particularly if the dog doesn't trust emus or likes to chase them.

Edit: And with the right kick to the face/spine an emu could kill a dog! So there's potential for the situation to quickly go awry if the two aren't getting along.
I think there are too many risks all the way around. The dogs are really nice and I would hate for something to happen to them because their owners are too stupid to keep them confined to their own property. I’d also feel horrible if one of those “nice doggies” hurt my emu.

I’ll just stick with my little birdies.

Back
Top Bottom