Q about VFW

Here is the website pertaining to eligibility to join the VFW:

http://www.jointheelite.org/engine.html

This is from their website:

Eligibility:
• Must be a US citizen
• Must be currently in the US military or have an honorable discharge
• Must have served overseas during a conflict for which you received an expeditionary medal, a campaign medal or ribbon, or imminent danger/hostile fire pay

and/or

Received the SSBN Deterrent Patrol Insignia, the Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB), the Combat Medic Badge (CMB), the Combat Action Ribbon (CAR), the Combat Action Badge (CAB), the Air Force Combat Action Medal (AFCAM), or Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon (with Gold Border)

and/or

• Served 30 consecutive days duty in Korea or 60 days of non-consecutive duty in Korea

and/or

• Be currently deployed in an area that qualifies for VFW membership.

I think you already found that information but I am posting it for the benefit of everyone else.

The veterans benefits link has already been posted.

The Cold War recognition is not bogus, it is a real thing.

http://www.defenselink.mil/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=2031

In brief:
"Secretary of Defense William S. Cohen has approved a Cold War Recognition Certificate for award to all members of the armed forces and federal government civilian employees who faithfully served the United States during the Cold War era, Sept. 2, 1945, to Dec. 26, 1991. Congress established the Cold War certificate in Section 1084 of the fiscal 1998 National Defense Authorization Act."

The letter he got would have been printed. Can you imagine how many thousands of people served during the Cold War. That is a lot of signatures.

From what you have said I do not think he qualifies for the VFW but there are many other veterans' organizations out there.

If you haven't been to this thread please visit it and add to it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=62509

Ok dacjohns, I put some notes in your forum.
wink.png

Yeah how many thousands never did serve the Cold War, wouldn't that be a waste of time and money to send it out to each and every service member in our country????????

Good information!

I honestly dont think FIL would fit in the category for VFW but I am sure he can find some similar organization in his area for veterans.

He might be interested in looking into the AMVETS and the DAV, along with the VFW.
All 3 around here have a lot of members and do ALOT in the community. Actually hubby was just at his 3 week AT and the VFW put on a picnic lunch for all the guys at Ft. McCoy back in August. And just this past weekend his unit had there Company Picnic. Which was held at the local DAV.

I don't have all the info needed to join them right now. But it shouldn't be to hard to find by just googling the group/club/organisation.

Shawna

oh yeah, forgot to add...hubby is currently preparing for his 2nd tour to Iraq. He was over there from June 2004 until November 2005 for 1st deployment. Will be leaving soon for 2nd deployment.

Thanks to all of you.

There are so many veteran organizations out there. Some are actively working for veteran benefits and recognition others are just a place to get drunk.

I have chosen to join only one organization at this time and that is the Disabled American Veterans. I am not active but am a member. The "clubs" where I live are just good old boy places and I really don't fit in.

I was invited to join the VFW (by the VFW, not any individual) which really surprised me. I did not serve in any wars or conflicts although I served during VietNam and Desert Storm. When I checked in to it I found out that my service in Korea qualified for membership.

For those so inclined I encourage membership in whatever organization fits you. If you are a vet or know a vet and haven't checked the benefits I encourage you to visit the VA site which has been posted already.

Thanks again to all the vets, family members, and relatives. I especially thank those that are currently serving.

[

There are so many veteran organizations out there. Some are actively working for veteran benefits and recognition others are just a place to get drunk.

I must admit alot of those organizations do alot of drinking.....that must be their own idea of fun. I remember my grandfather was a member of the Moose and Elk's club that there was plenty of drinking going on. Not too many would have women in there unless one comes in as a bunny rabbit!
wink.png

Yes I am certain that my FIL can find a place he can "fit" into. He is presently into Civil War reenacting but alot of the folks are "pushing" him away (he does not feel like he fits into any group).

dacjohns got it all right. The campaign medal is the big qualifier. No one has yet mentioned the American Legion. They are just as prevalent as the VFW and just as old an organization. AMVETS I don't know too much about, but like the American Legion you pretty much just have to be a veteran to get in, as long as your discharge was other than dis-honorable.

Every county in Michigan has a local veterans affairs office. It's a good place to get alot of questions answered. You may look for something equivalent to that in you area.

Quote:
For the American Legion, you do have to have served during war time, so my neighbor who was in the army between the Korean conflict and Vietnam doesn't qualify, but I do since I was in the AF during Grenada. You don't have to have actually served overseas.

AmVets seems to be for everyone else who falls through the holes and can't get into the other orgs. At least that's what I learned at our local AM Legion.

The AmVet org in my county is just part of the AM Legion, not enough members yet to warrant their own building.

You FIL and ANY veteran is eliglible for a grave marker. Whoever is taking care of his arrangements at the time of need can contact the local office of veterans affairs or the funeral director you are dealing with can usually do the paperwork for you.
I don't know anything about the VFW but we own a cemetery so I know about markers! lol

I've spent the day digging online about VFW which I am certain that FIL would not qualify but he certainly can go for the American Legions.

As for the grave marker, he wanted something like all the war vets got, the flag, the ignsignia (sp) US Army with eagle and PVT written on his headstone when he gets to be buried. He would like to have all the honors, the gunners and flag folding ceremony which I am sure any veterans war or not, can have that thru the organization.

Will check out the American Legion post in his area and fire some copies for him to read over.

Will forward the info on the gravestone marker requirements. At least he would have a nice headstone when he goes....hopefully not for a long time, he is already past 65 years of age and find men of his own age to chat about since he loves history.

Back
Top Bottom