Quack or no quack that is the question

Plague

Songster
Sep 5, 2022
I am hoping some of you out there that have raised quite a few ducks male and female can help. At this point unless this is a female I have only had drakes. Now I know once adult what a male sounds like, and I’ve heard on the internet what an adult female is supposed to sound like. However this one here I’ve had for as of tomorrow will be 9 weeks, so still a juvenile, it was many months at this point since our drakes were this age, but I don’t remember them quite sounding like this at this age, but I could be wrong. This is our little “production” rouen, and the bill looks like it is turning orange . However does have a ring around the neck at this time, I have seen where birds crossed and breed to be what they are can be somewhat unique in coloring, have even seen a few photos where people claim they are female with a slight hint of a ring, and the other one were different breeds so I can’t look at my past experiences with them here either. I did watch many videos on vent sexing, I did attempt to when this bird was younger, I never could see anything to point to it being a drake, but I was possibly overly gentle not wanting to injure it. Unfortunately I don’t know anyone in my area that raises birds, although there are people around that do, I just don’t know them, and feels strange to just start knocking on doors to ask around. So I’m left with trying to “voice” sex to try and either confirm that I did do the venting correctly, or I failed and it will be another drake. I can tell you this one definitely seems louder than the others ever did, and even now they can get quite loud themselves when they are excited or trying to get treats, but this one does seem to be louder than them. I am attaching a couple videos that hopefully you guys will be able to better tell me if I’m just hoping for a female too much, or it indeed is. It is very important I find out as soon as I can because if it is a female I don’t want it locked up in their house with them, but if it is just another male I could go ahead I feel and put it in the house with them. It wouldn’t let me attach my video, I I just uploaded them to YouTube, links it gave me are below hope that is not a problem.

Thank you @DuneDucks and @HollowOfWisps , I knew someone on here would know. I just have no real life experience on what anything but the drakes sounded like as the juveniles, and again at this point it has been a several months ago at this point. When it is all said and done I will know, wife already decided we needed more. She said she has always wanted ducks, already have 5 more babies she insisted she had to have lol.

Back
Top Bottom