Quack quack chicken??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkielover2444, Mar 7, 2013.

1. silkielover2444

silkielover2444 New Egg

Feb 25, 2013
    I am new to chickens. My nine week old hen makes a duck noise!!?? It sounds like a mixture of geese and ducks. Is this normal?

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    You know that they say: "If it looks like a chicken and sounds like a duck".... Its probably a "chucken" [​IMG]

Perhaps a young roo finding his voice?

3. silkielover2444

silkielover2444 New Egg

Feb 25, 2013
    Haha I wish I could call it chucken but it already has a name. I'm pretty sure it's a hen but when it was little it was all black so I was not sure if it was marked like the other roos. Here's a pic of her [​IMG]she was about seven or eight weeks here but right now she in nine weeks. This is the most recent pic I have of her.

4. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    One of my pullets still sounds like a goose and she is 10 months old. All of my other chickens have these nice quiet voices and then there is Greenie - honk, honk, honk.[​IMG].She is very definitely a chicken - a cross between a SLW and Cochin. Beautiful bird until she opens her mouth which is constantly. LOL. Since I only have seven girls, I can easily recognize each of their voices and there is quite a range of different sounds even between the two sets of sisters.

5. silkielover2444

silkielover2444 New Egg

Feb 25, 2013
    I also have 7 hens! They are so sweet! Another one tried to make the quack but it didn't sound like the other one. Maybe it's the breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by