Quackers isnt herself

Animal family

Songster
Nov 13, 2017
Northern Colorado
My duck Quackers was hiding in her house when I got home today around 3pm. I can’t figure out what’s wrong, she is quiet and isn’t interested in food. Usually when I get home she and her drake greet me at the door and want snacks. Lots of talking and eating goes on.

She hasn’t laid an egg for 2 days now but I thought since they are going thru their summer molt, that was normal.

She is quiet, not eating, drank a tiny bit, let me hold her a lot which is weird, and seems tired and a bit scared.

My drake Cheese seems fine, not scared at all, eating and drinking.

She’s just not herself, and I can’t find any wounds or sickness, her eyes seem fine, however, it seems like her breathing is a bit labored. I thought maybe it was because she was hot because I’m holding her, but that worries me.

Anyone have any ideas? I’m so worried, they’re my pets and they’ve always had lots of energy and sass. They were 1 in April.

Thank you!
Julie

My duck Quackers was hiding in her house when I got home today around 3pm. I can’t figure out what’s wrong, she is quiet and isn’t interested in food. Usually when I get home she and her drake greet me at the door and want snacks. Lots of talking and eating goes on.

She hasn’t laid an egg for 2 days now but I thought since they are going thru their summer molt, that was normal.

She is quiet, not eating, drank a tiny bit, let me hold her a lot which is weird, and seems tired and a bit scared.

My drake Cheese seems fine, not scared at all, eating and drinking.

She’s just not herself, and I can’t find any wounds or sickness, her eyes seem fine, however, it seems like her breathing is a bit labored. I thought maybe it was because she was hot because I’m holding her, but that worries me.

Anyone have any ideas? I’m so worried, they’re my pets and they’ve always had lots of energy and sass. They were 1 in April.

Thank
did you check to see if shes eggbound?

did you check to see if shes eggbound?
I’m not sure how to check... I felt her stomach but didn’t feel anything different, I put her in a warm bath but took her out since she was panting and hot. Her bill is a lot hotter than Cheeses.
Since writing my first post, I’ve noticed she’s favoring her left leg, however no sign of injury. I’m just worried because she won’t touch any food. Drinking tho...

If you can tell that she is straining to push, there is probably an egg stuck. I would see if you can make her as comfortable as possible. Can you give her some extra calcium? I have liquid calcium gluconate I bought from TCS. It’s a liquid you can squirt in her bill.

Do you have turmeric or fish oil? Those both are great anti inflammatories so it will decrease the swelling in her reproductive tract. Then hopefully she can pass it.

She spent much of the afternoon inside with me, I can keep her cool tomorrow as well. I’m really worried about her not eating, she went to bed without eating anything since before 3pm today.
How much turmeric can I give her, and how do I give it to her? I have powder. I’ll get some liquid calcium tomorrow, she has oyster shell available at al times but obviously isn’t eating it righ now.
Thanks for writing back, I’m beyond worried for my girl.

Back
Top Bottom