Quail and chicken at the same incubator?

Maiahr

Crowing
Jul 21, 2019
Bulgaria, a country in Eastern Europe
My Coop
My Coop
Question. Can I hatch quail and chicken together in the same incubator? Has anybody done this? I put the chicken eggs, then 3 days later I put the quail eggs. Lockdown all the same time and in the same incubator. I could put a plastic divider in the incubator during lockdown so the chicken do not crash the quail after hatching.

You could do it that way but I recommend that you set all the eggs at the same time.
That way the quail will be out before the chickens hatch. That will prevent all kinds of issues.

Question. Can I hatch quail and chicken together in the same incubator? Has anybody done this? I put the chicken eggs, then 3 days later I put the quail eggs. Lockdown all the same time and in the same incubator. I could put a plastic divider in the incubator during lockdown so the chicken do not crash the quail after hatching.
I have hatched like that without issue of course fewer chickens than quail....as long as monitored shouldn’t need divider

IMO, those concerns are less of a problem than hatching chickens and quail together.
Humidity bounces around in nature. A setting hen can't control a rainstorm or dry spell so it won't hurt to raise the humidity for a couple days as long as the chicken eggs have lost sufficient weight to that point. It isn't about daily humidity %, it is about weight loss throughout incubation. It should be about 13%.
Turning is not essential after the first two weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom