Quail bleeding and health issue

chickel25513

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2017
NH
Hello everyone,

I am new to raising button quail and currently have 4 of them together, they have all grown up together and been together for more than a month and just now I am seeing that two of them have dried up blood and were bleeding on the head/neck and have some feathers missing on there head. I think it could be because of them fighting, so I separated them from the one I noticed to be picking at the others and now they seem to be doing fine, but what do I do now and how can I help them heal?

Please help I wanna help them asap, Thank you.

Since the blood is dried up, I do not believe that there is any way to help the wound heal. If you are extremely worried you should probably take them to the vet but you'll
probably end up paying a fortune for twenty dollar ointment and nothing more. It would help if you could post some photos of their injuries so I could know more information on the matter.

Once they are healed it is important to note the possible problems that have caused your quail to be aggressive towards the others. If your aggressive quail is a male living with other males this would almost certainly be the cause of this aggression. Male quails don't usually do well together unless they have a very large cage with lots of places to hide. You probably want to keep the males separated at all times. Male quails will sometimes harm female quails in an attempt to mate with them. My cortnix quail's feathers are completely missing from her neck and patchy back feathers even after over a month of being separated from the males. Her feathers are not going to grow back. Both of my indoor quails have had feathers ripped out but only one of them has ever had a small amount of blood drawn. I am yet to see a laying female quail without any feathers ripped out. Some females will also peck at each other all though it is certainly not as common. To help with this problem you should give them a bigger cage.

I'm sorry that I don't have much medical advice for your quails since I don't know too much detail about the situation.

Best of wishes for your quails.

I agree with OwO - you probably have multiple males. And at least one female, as the males are usually able to live together if there are no females around, but the presence of a female almost always causes some degree of pecking/chasing/fighting.
Most likely the one doing the pecking was male, the one still with him is a female and the two bloody ones are males. You can post pictures of them here if you want help sexing them.
Usually quail heal up very well - chances are your birds will be just fine. In general, as long as they are eating and acting pretty normal you don't need to worry, just keep them separated and allow them to heal.
I would not attempt to introduce them back to the bully again, but rather give them a cage on their own or sell them once they've healed. Chances are the problem will just reoccur if you put them back.

So I keep reading about keeping males separate, can they still be side by side with the females with a divider in an aviary or will they still fight if the females are that close? Or is it only in the same pen where they physically have access?

I'm actually not sure whether it's okay for them to be able to see the females - I haven't tried. I've kept them very near each other where they could easily hear them with no issue, but not where they could see them. If the divider is solid, at least at the bottom, it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom