Quail cage enrichment

calicocows

Crowing
Mar 14, 2023
Virginia
Hello! I’m working on adding stuff to my quail tank and was wondering if anyone has suggestions of what to add and where to get it? I want to add clutter so they feel safe. It’s a 42 gallon (36x18x18”) aquarium w a screen lid (that I still can’t figure out how to secure) and paver sand on the bottom as a combo grit and sand bath material. I’m going to add peat moss as well to part of it, just to make sure they can dust bathe. Other than a brick to put their feeder/waterer on to keep sand out of it and the birds nails short, I have no idea what to add. Fake plants and bunny hides? something else? Where’s a good place to get quail safe versions of these?

If you want to go more natural looking than dollar store baskets, you can use bunny hides. Plant pots turned on their sides work as well. Fake plants are also good, but try to avoid fake vines. They can get tangled up in those.

heres my set up for now! Still need to add feeder, waterer, and a bowl of oyster shell

Attachments

• IMG_0380.jpeg
    IMG_0380.jpeg
    395.6 KB · Views: 49
How many quail do you have?
I used a Tupperware same size so it was easy to attach the wire top.

Attachments

• IMG_7097.png
    IMG_7097.png
    427.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7095.png
    IMG_7095.png
    431 KB · Views: 18
How many quail do you have?
I used a Tupperware same size so it was easy to attach the wire top.
i have 2 girls! i have no memory of making this thread haha. right now, one is outside in their normal hutch and one is inside in a box-turned-hospital cage. trying to figure out what to do with the healthy one when i euth the invalid (i call her that affectionately, i'm disabled i promise i'm not being mean)

i have 2 girls! i have no memory of making this thread haha. right now, one is outside in their normal hutch and one is inside in a box-turned-hospital cage. trying to figure out what to do with the healthy one when i euth the invalid (i call her that affectionately, i'm disabled i promise i'm not being mean)
Invalid can not be used affectionately.
If you have only one in the hutch that’s mean too. They are social birds and you should take her to a rescue.

Invalid can not be used affectionately.
If you have only one in the hutch that’s mean too. They are social birds and you should take her to a rescue.
my apologies, i was unaware of the extent of the history behind the word. thank you for telling me!
i did put pancake back out last night, she's gotten a lot stronger, and i still haven't found anyone to take waffles. i haven't given her to the animal shelter because they don't have any quails, nor any experience with them. if you know of a quail-specific rescue, that would be super helpful!

I'm glad to hear your hen's gotten better! If you're still looking to rehome, you might have good luck on Facebook since there's quite a few quail groups and everyone who wants quail will take hens.

If you're still thinking about enrichment, mine have gone nuts since we bought a bale of straw or hay from TSC. It's got a few seed heads still mixed in, so the birds enjoy picking out the wheat grains.

I'm glad to hear your hen's gotten better! If you're still looking to rehome, you might have good luck on Facebook since there's quite a few quail groups and everyone who wants quail will take hens.

If you're still thinking about enrichment, mine have gone nuts since we bought a bale of straw or hay from TSC. It's got a few seed heads still mixed in, so the birds enjoy picking out the wheat grains.
Be very, very careful about trying to rehome or sell anything alive on FB. They are crazy. They won't even let you sell eggs because they are "animals/animal products".

Back
Top Bottom