Quail Cages on the Ground

Sweets2005

Chirping
May 10, 2015
Delaware, USA
Hello!

I am going to be getting started with quail soon (for eggs) and I have been pouring over the 100+ pages in the Coop Photos thread! It's been a great resource! I notice that the majority of the cages are above the ground and are more like rabbit hutches with wire bottoms and enclosures that are on the ground are in the minority. I was just wondering what the reasoning for this was? I think I would prefer them on the ground because it's more natural and they would probably enjoy it more. I think it would be cute to watch them walk around.

I do see the appeal in having them up higher. I have a bad back so not bending over would be nice but I also have kids would can retrieve eggs for me haha. But are there health benefits for the quail to be higher up?

What are the pros and cons of each type of enclosure?

Thanks!

I personally used Raised Cages. The reasons for my choice
-I kept them inside
-Keeps eggs clean
-Protects the birds all around
-Room saver
-Easy clean up
-Easy Point Of View
-Easy to monitor the birds.
-The ability to know exactly what my birds are eating to document in growth charts.
I'm sure I have more reasons, but I just got up so I can't think of anymore atm.

Hello!

I am going to be getting started with quail soon (for eggs) and I have been pouring over the 100+ pages in the Coop Photos thread! It's been a great resource! I notice that the majority of the cages are above the ground and are more like rabbit hutches with wire bottoms and enclosures that are on the ground are in the minority. I was just wondering what the reasoning for this was? I think I would prefer them on the ground because it's more natural and they would probably enjoy it more. I think it would be cute to watch them walk around.

I do see the appeal in having them up higher. I have a bad back so not bending over would be nice but I also have kids would can retrieve eggs for me haha. But are there health benefits for the quail to be higher up?

What are the pros and cons of each type of enclosure?

Thanks!

I only have quail in cages, so I have no particular opinion on ground cages. If your purpose is to have quail as pets and enjoyment, then it makes sense to put them into more of an aviary setting, and I'm sure those who have them like this will comment. If you want them for eggs/egg production (eating or breeding or selling), then it makes more sense to have them in a cage - safer from predators (usually), possibly less exposure to illness and certainly easier to collect eggs. quail lay eggs and walk away - they don't use nest boxes and it is rare (possible, but rare) for a hen to go broody - at least for the Cots/ Japanese type. Their eggs are small so harder to see/find possibly in a more natural setting if you have provided vegetation screens, etc. The only other thing you need to be aware of is that quail can fly, but they tend to startle up, so your enclosure needs to be less than 12" tall or greater than 5' tall so that the quail are less likely to injure (or kill) themselves if they startle and flush up (not enough momentum at 12", and momentum expended before 5'). Also, males fight, so either keep 1 male to 4-6 females or plenty of room so that fighting is non-existent or minimized. I enjoy my quail and enjoy having the eggs to eat. Good Luck.

I've had terrible trouble with rats when putting quail in ground cages. They've chewed through thick wood, and even hardware cloth to get in and eat my birds! I much prefer raised cages for cleaning them out too - it's a lot easier on the back. It would be nice for them to have a big aviary one day as they do like to jump and play but I'd be putting down a concrete base and making the sides solid for a good distance up to stop anything getting in or grabbing the birds through the hardware cloth.

1) How many quail are you wanting to have?
2) Do you plan on hatching any of the eggs or just eating them?

It really all depends on why you are raising them and personal preference. If you want them to be "pets" and as a plus would like to get some eggs then an aviary setup would be better for you (aviary or solid floor cage with dirt/shavings). An aviary/solid floor cage is more work and less efficient than keeping them on wire but they are in a more natural environment. With an aviary the birds will require more space than in a wire floor cage. Also you will have to clean the bedding periodically, more often the smaller the aviary.

I raise quail for meat and egg production (primarily eggs but you have to something with all the extra males). I keep them on wire with roll out egg trays. I have automatic waterers and large capacity feeders. My birds are kept high off the ground, about 3 1/2 feet. This keeps them out of reach of coons and possums (I have killed 2 possums and 4 coons in the last month). I still like to go out and watch my birds and I want them to be happy. I add dust pans in their cages a couple times a week. I also have a sheltered area where they can get out of the wind.

With roll out egg trays the eggs are cleaner and much easier to grab. Also the birds are much less stressed when I can get the eggs from the outside instead of opening the door and reaching in. I can access food/water/eggs from the outside of the cage so I do not disturb the quail. These guys are little poop machines. I could not imagine constantly changing the bedding if I kept them on a solid floor. With the wire floor I can let their droppings fall all year and not clean them up if I want to.

Quail get around just fine on the wire. The run, jump, lay down, do everything on the wire except dust bathe. You can always set a pan on the wire with sand, grass, etc.

If your primary goal is egg production and your secondary goal is having them as pets I would build a wire floor cage with roll out egg tray. If you don't mind changing out the shavings and hunting for eggs then build an aviary.

Last edited:
I've had terrible trouble with rats when putting quail in ground cages. They've chewed through thick wood, and even hardware cloth to get in and eat my birds!

Ewww oh no! Where do you live? I live in town, not the city but not the suburbs, but I am sure there are rats here, too.

1) Quail get around just fine on the wire. The run, jump, lay down, do everything on the wire except dust bathe. You can always set a pan on the wire with sand, grass, etc.

Thanks for all of your helpful information and advice! I think I will stick to wire. I recently found some plastic covered wire, maybe that would be a bit more comfortable.

To answer your questions, I do mostly want them for eggs. I have enough pets. But I guess yeah also as pets LOL. As far as quantity, I was thinking maybe 12-15 of them... Oh and I did not imagine using any kind of bedding, I definitely do not have time to be cleaning that. I was thinking if they did not have wire, they would be right on the ground. But if that is not sanitary or safe, then I guess wire it is.

How do you have a roll out egg tray? How does that work?

Thanks again! :love

Thanks for all of your helpful information and advice! I think I will stick to wire. I recently found some plastic covered wire, maybe that would be a bit more comfortable.

To answer your questions, I do mostly want them for eggs. I have enough pets. But I guess yeah also as pets LOL. As far as quantity, I was thinking maybe 12-15 of them... Oh and I did not imagine using any kind of bedding, I definitely do not have time to be cleaning that. I was thinking if they did not have wire, they would be right on the ground. But if that is not sanitary or safe, then I guess wire it is.

How do you have a roll out egg tray? How does that work?

Thanks again! :love
Plastic coated wire should work great. I purchased some for a brooder I'm making. Many people keep them on the ground but it requires periodic cleaning. The worst thing you can do is let them run around and peck in their poop. It can get stuck to their feet and they can get diseases from pecking in it. So either they need a fairly large area to roam that requires a little maintenance or they have a small area that requires regular daily/weekly cleaning... or a wire floor that requires minimal to no maintenance.

Here's my two current cages. The first one is more on the lines of something that would suit you I think. But it would need to be built with a sloped floor and with an egg catcher/trough. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-quail-cage-1-0.1231344/

My second cage was designed specifically for breeding quail and egg production. It is 5 individual cages roughly 6 square feet. I keep 5-6 birds in them. 5/1 and 4/1 hens to males. If you are not going to be hatching the eggs you do not need any males. Your hens will be a little more peaceful with no males too. For the egg catcher you need a sloped floor and a gap in the side for the eggs to roll out. You can see what I'm talking about in these pics... https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/diy-quail-cage-2-0.1231366/

Last edited:
Ewww oh no! Where do you live? I live in town, not the city but not the suburbs, but I am sure there are rats here, too.

We are urban but have an open stormwater culvert running through bottom of our backyard which always attracts rats and a lot of bush on the properties either side for them to live in. We have huge brown rats - I took a video of them to prove to hubby how big they were! :sick Thankfully we've found a rat bait that they really like which seems to be keeping the numbers in check.

I use straw in my cages. I have solid bottomed cages because of rats (for starters) and I have read of quail getting bumblefoot from dried poop on wire. It takes me two minutes to scrape out the old bedding and put some new straw in. They do like to 'help' ie: stand in the way the whole time. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom