Quail care?

Nov 28, 2017
UK
How much ventilation do quail need? Or how much is too much? I would like to buy six standard coturnix quail hens as pets and make an old 5x4 Wendy house into a home for them. I hope to make a second door of mesh that I can leave open during the day. I’m also wanting to take the front and side window out and replace with mesh, possibly add some more vents as I go. My dad is buying some Perspex type stuff to make some sun-windows in the roof to let more light in. I’m guessing there’ll be about 16sqft of ventilation when I’m done, no drafts, no rain coming in. Is that okay or should I add more? I’m in England, it rains a lot but I’ve only known it to get to the absolute lowest of -8celcius ever. I could add heat if they would need it.

Also, what flowers and herbs are safe for them?

And please give any general care tips if you have any :)

Howdy, ventilation wise, your ok! Gameb irds do not like wet muddy conditions. Temperature wise they can handle your temps if there are no droughts on them. Plant wise, mine have native grasses, weeds. Protein feed of at least 24% should be fed. Clean water is a must. Other than that, good biosecurity is a priority.

In my opinion quail stink, most people will have the majority of the coop hardwire cloth easier to clean and keeps the smell down too.
Mine live in flight pens(avery type pen) almost completely open to all elements and on the ground. It has a roof and one side is blocked, soon to be 2 sides(we are getting close to our rainy seaion here and when it rains it doesnt stop for... seems like ever lol) They have places to hide and get into.
I live in florida and it rains alot here and we just had low 20's here and they did fine, no heat(for mature adults and for just 3 1/2 week olds. It being any colder where you are im not sure but i would think they would be fine if they had enough bedding to maybe help depending in the housing you choose to go with. Everyone has a different way of houseing and tending to their flocks. But for me i have found it best to keep it as natural as i can.
I do not give extra light to get nore eggs (for one is shortens their life, and two its very un natural for them), i keep them housed of thd ground in biger pins because we also use them for bird training, only select few. It is also better for their over all health to be able to flap those little wings. You just want to give then places to hide.
I dont have plants yet but lots of people use grasses like Sean said. And make sure it is 100% secured from predators. EVERYTHING eats quail!
Like sean said on the feed. If ypu can find it. Its hard for me to get the 24% here the 24% we have is the chick feed nd they acctually did great on it(just make sure it is non medicated) My youngins get 30% again hard to get but i stocked up as much i can on them.
I am still new at quail and learning every day. There is always somthing to learn.
@007Sean has more experance with quail then i do. Im still a *noob*

You can sprout alfalfa seeds and sunflower seeds - they love them! Straw is the best bedding for them as they like to nest in it and huddle down in it when it's cold. Think about your doors and how you are going to clean them out easily/comfortably without your birds wandering out (because they are nosy). They will also all stand around just where you are trying to clean! They are very sweet birds.

If you are keeping just girls one will often take the place of a male and may tidbit to the others when you bring them treats. They may squat for you too on occasion.

Enjoy them!

Howdy, ventilation wise, your ok! Gameb irds do not like wet muddy conditions. Temperature wise they can handle your temps if there are no droughts on them. Plant wise, mine have native grasses, weeds. Protein feed of at least 24% should be fed. Clean water is a must. Other than that, good biosecurity is a priority.

In my opinion quail stink, most people will have the majority of the coop hardwire cloth easier to clean and keeps the smell down too.
Mine live in flight pens(avery type pen) almost completely open to all elements and on the ground. It has a roof and one side is blocked, soon to be 2 sides(we are getting close to our rainy seaion here and when it rains it doesnt stop for... seems like ever lol) They have places to hide and get into.
I live in florida and it rains alot here and we just had low 20's here and they did fine, no heat(for mature adults and for just 3 1/2 week olds. It being any colder where you are im not sure but i would think they would be fine if they had enough bedding to maybe help depending in the housing you choose to go with. Everyone has a different way of houseing and tending to their flocks. But for me i have found it best to keep it as natural as i can.
I do not give extra light to get nore eggs (for one is shortens their life, and two its very un natural for them), i keep them housed of thd ground in biger pins because we also use them for bird training, only select few. It is also better for their over all health to be able to flap those little wings. You just want to give then places to hide.
I dont have plants yet but lots of people use grasses like Sean said. And make sure it is 100% secured from predators. EVERYTHING eats quail!
Like sean said on the feed. If ypu can find it. Its hard for me to get the 24% here the 24% we have is the chick feed nd they acctually did great on it(just make sure it is non medicated) My youngins get 30% again hard to get but i stocked up as much i can on them.
I am still new at quail and learning every day. There is always somthing to learn.
@007Sean has more experance with quail then i do. Im still a *noob*

You can sprout alfalfa seeds and sunflower seeds - they love them! Straw is the best bedding for them as they like to nest in it and huddle down in it when it's cold. Think about your doors and how you are going to clean them out easily/comfortably without your birds wandering out (because they are nosy). They will also all stand around just where you are trying to clean! They are very sweet birds.

If you are keeping just girls one will often take the place of a male and may tidbit to the others when you bring them treats. They may squat for you too on occasion.

Enjoy them!

Thank you! Thankfully the only predator here is the big bad fox but he can’t get in our garden, there’s also bird netting on top of ‘my part of the garden’, I think it’s safe for them to wander about if they wanted to.
I’ve found some quail layers feed and turkey starter, which is better? Are they the same as chickens in the sense that non layers don’t need layer feed? Do they need oyster shell?
Are bell drinkers and feeders okay for them?
Oh and what should I look for when buying them? Won’t be for another month yet but I don’t want to incubate eggs. Sorry if there’s very obvious answers to these questions, but I want to start on the right foot

Thank you! Thankfully the only predator here is the big bad fox but he can’t get in our garden, there’s also bird netting on top of ‘my part of the garden’, I think it’s safe for them to wander about if they wanted to.
I’ve found some quail layers feed and turkey starter, which is better? Are they the same as chickens in the sense that non layers don’t need layer feed? Do they need oyster shell?
Are bell drinkers and feeders okay for them?
Oh and what should I look for when buying them? Won’t be for another month yet but I don’t want to incubate eggs. Sorry if there’s very obvious answers to these questions, but I want to start on the right foot
Bird netting is ok for the quail, because it "gives" if they hit it but it is not predator proof at all. A welded wire mesh of 1" is very good or a covered roof, either sheet metal or shingles.

If all you can find is turkey starter, that's what I would feed, if it's 24% or higher protein. If your feeding a good quality commercial feed, either crumbles or pellets, oyster shell is not necessary, the commercial feed producers add calcium to their feed. If your feeding seeds, milo, corn, wheat, barley, oats, etc then a grit is necessary to help break the seeds down in the gizzard. Depending on whether their raised on ground or in wire cages will dictate the use of grit. Most soils have plenty of calcium, thus the grit they consume does not need to be supplimented with oyster shell. Most hobbyist quail raisers will give oyster grit free choice to their birds, if raising them in wire cages.

Humm, bell waterers? They are a pain to keep clean but will work very well. The problem with any of those type waterer's is that feces, dirt, pebbles and other debris will collect in the ring.

When looking for good quality birds, choose birds whose feathers are in good shape, a natural sheen to the feathers, not all rough looking which may indicate over crowding or disease. No drooping wings or hunched over look to the bird.
Do your research, there's plenty of resources on the net dealing with raising gamebirds. Be warned, what works for one person and their operation may or may not work for your operation. There is a plythra of methods to raise gamebirds. There kinda like opinons...everyone has one! HTH

I agree with everything Sean said above... i would definitely take his advice into consideration.
I can only find 22% right now(but it is a gamebird feed for quail and others) so i give them the shells and i give them seeds to supplement.
I hope you find some great little hens they are so sweet and awesome little birds to have.

Bird netting is ok for the quail, because it "gives" if they hit it but it is not predator proof at all. A welded wire mesh of 1" is very good or a covered roof, either sheet metal or shingles.

If all you can find is turkey starter, that's what I would feed, if it's 24% or higher protein. If your feeding a good quality commercial feed, either crumbles or pellets, oyster shell is not necessary, the commercial feed producers add calcium to their feed. If your feeding seeds, milo, corn, wheat, barley, oats, etc then a grit is necessary to help break the seeds down in the gizzard. Depending on whether their raised on ground or in wire cages will dictate the use of grit. Most soils have plenty of calcium, thus the grit they consume does not need to be supplimented with oyster shell. Most hobbyist quail raisers will give oyster grit free choice to their birds, if raising them in wire cages.

Humm, bell waterers? They are a pain to keep clean but will work very well. The problem with any of those type waterer's is that feces, dirt, pebbles and other debris will collect in the ring.

When looking for good quality birds, choose birds whose feathers are in good shape, a natural sheen to the feathers, not all rough looking which may indicate over crowding or disease. No drooping wings or hunched over look to the bird.
Do your research, there's plenty of resources on the net dealing with raising gamebirds. Be warned, what works for one person and their operation may or may not work for your operation. There is a plythra of methods to raise gamebirds. There kinda like opinons...everyone has one! HTH

Thank you again. There’s not much soil in my part of the garden, just my plants, I may make a bed though for them to forage through. I will have a look at other watering things, I’ve seen that a lot of people prefer the nipples, i think they’re clean and probably easy to use but I don’t really like them. I’ve found a seller so hopefully I’ll have some nice little birds soon! Thanks for your help and advice :)

Back
Top Bottom