Quail chick starter

Roger that, any tips on ensuring they’re eating properly, I’ve scattered feed in the incubator but the first is now about 30 hours old so in about 8 hours ill move him and any other dried out chicks into the brooder. I know I need to direct them to the feed so they know where the food source is. Any other tips?
Put some paper towels down and sprinkle the crushed up feed all over it, that way where ever they peck they find food, also put a shallow saucer with feed on it, that way they will catch on pretty quickly where the feeder is too!

Thanks, have done. They’re eating and drinking fine. I have 7 now, 6 are fine but 1 seems to be limping on one of his legs, his legs aren’t splayed they’re straight, he’s just cautious to put the other leg down with moving, any ideas on what’s happened and how I can treat the little fella?

Thanks, have done. They’re eating and drinking fine. I have 7 now, 6 are fine but 1 seems to be limping on one of his legs, his legs aren’t splayed they’re straight, he’s just cautious to put the other leg down with moving, any ideas on what’s happened and how I can treat the little fella?
Pictures? Check to make sure there isn't a hair or something wrapped around the leg. If you can upload a video to YouTube and post a link here, that would be even better.

If it's a minor injury, you will probably see your chick improve within a day.

Pictures? Check to make sure there isn't a hair or something wrapped around the leg. If you can upload a video to YouTube and post a link here, that would be even better.

DITTO! Just check and see if it's not something wrapped around it's leg. If it's a injury, probably another chick stepped on it and it will recover in a few days.

DITTO! Just check and see if it's not something wrapped around it's leg. If it's an injury, probably another chick stepped on it and it will recover in a few days.
Nothing wrapped around the foot or leg, his left foot is real flimsy, he’s able to get around, but will not stand up fully like the others
IMG_0486.jpeg
IMG_0485.jpeg
IMG_0480.jpeg
IMG_0479.jpeg

That leg looks deformed. If it's a pet, it might live a reasonable life, but if it's livestock, I would cull. I expect that it will end up walking on the joint of that leg rather than the foot which might cause issues down the line.

Would there be any issues with the other chicks singling it out or bullying it as they get older? They have a large brooder, 90cmx70cm and lots of hiding spots

Would there be any issues with the other chicks singling it out or bullying it as they get older? They have a large brooder, 90cmx70cm and lots of hiding spots
It depends on the dispositions of the other chicks. As long as this one can run around, eat, and drink, the others probably won't bother it much. I wouldn't give newly hatched chicks hiding places. They are very good at finding creative ways to die.

It depends on the dispositions of the other chicks. As long as this one can run around, eat, and drink, the others probably won't bother it much. I wouldn't give newly hatched chicks hiding places. They are very good at finding creative ways to die.
Yeah he eats and drinks fine, he can move surprisingly well too considering he’s only using 1 leg most of the time. Yeah I realise this morning that I needed to block off some areas as one of them had got themselves stuck, he’s fine. I’m now on day 19 of incubation, with day 1 being when I put the eggs in, there is no sign of pipping on my 5 remaining eggs, how long would u wait to end the incubation process?

Back
Top Bottom